• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x?, still can't decide... (2 Viewers)

ranburr said:
If you want a good deal on a quality 8x42 roof prism, look at the Docter offering. Cabela's has these on sale right now for $579.00. This is a great deal on a very good bino.

ranburr

Ranburr, just as a matter of interest, CDNN has Docter 8x42's for $399. I've been tempted to try a set. They also have the newly manufactured Jena 7x40 EDF's (made now by Docter). Had a pair of those once and loved them.

www.cdnninvestments.com

Dan C

Last edited:
mid south & cabellas have the swarovski 8x30 slc,s on sale for about the price you want .you cant get much better .i also have the 12x50 se,s but the are not waterproof.one i use most tho is my 12x36 canon IS
brian

medinabrit said:
mid south & cabellas have the swarovski 8x30 slc,s on sale for about the price you want .you cant get much better .i also have the 12x50 se,s but the are not waterproof.one i use most tho is my 12x36 canon IS
brian

Christopher's (astronomics.com), in Norman, Oklahoma, has the 8x30 SLC for less than Cabela's. The SLC is indeed an exceptional binocular, and I can say from experience that Christopher's is a first-rate shop. Still, this is $200 more than RedBishop wants to spend.

Where do you come up with the idea that the Nikon SE is optically superior to anything. That's the biggest bunch of baloney I have ever heard of. Both Better View Desired and Aluva have ranked roof prisms over the SE. I think you are reading some old tests or you haven't looked through a new Zeiss FL. I had SE Nikon's and they were noway superior to some of the modern roof prisms. Don't spread your biased opinions to unexperienced or unknowing people. Cmon give me a break!

Dennis

LOL! Still blindly pounding your drums unto deafness... :brains:

I thought the funniest thing was when you were saying how superior the FL is to everything, before you even looked through a pair! :'D

highxj said:
Ranburr, just as a matter of interest, CDNN has Docter 8x42's for $399. I've been tempted to try a set. They also have the newly manufactured Jena 7x40 EDF's (made now by Docter). Had a pair of those once and loved them.

www.cdnninvestments.com

Dan C

That is a great deal. If I were in the market for new binos, I would grab up several pair at that price.

ranburr

medinabrit said:
mid south shooters supply price for swarovski 8x30 slc,s $680 .only $30 more than his max .a great value on a great bino.
brian

$680 truly is a steal for this binocular. Midsouth has it in stock, but I cannot determine from their website if it carries the USA warranty. I know that Christopher's stock is USA-warranteed. If Midsouth's price is for a USA warranty bin, I think Christopher's will match the price, and I think they will also provide free shipping. Even if you had to pay $700 for the bin, it is a steal. It is the same bin as the SLC New, only in different skin.

richt said:
i am and remain personally grateful that there are still "tremendous" performers available at less cost and i just think whether it be Nikon SE Zeiss FL Leica trin ultra Swaro.... and so on its still excellent news that both sets of choices are around allowing superb viewing (thats what we buy them for isnt it ?)

Bravo - could not agree more. I have no doubt that the Leica Ultravid is superior to the predecessor Trinovid Ultra, but I was out this past weekend with my 8 x 42 Trin Ultra and and gosh, it gives a wonderful view.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back