• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A delicate subject... toilet facilities at reserves (1 Viewer)

I diasagree, having served in HM Forces, I know the importance of water. I always carry a double lined aluminium water bottle and take sips regularly. It also keep the water cool. You don't need to drink gallons of the stuff, but even in winter, we were taught the importance of taking water regularly, even when not out and about. We were told that your pee should be clear at least once a day. Mind you, after a few jars at night in the pub it always was;)

Absolutely - but in a Western European day out context, as opposed to up the jungle where if you don't need to pee, you need a drink, no.

When your return time, route and future availability of drinks are all guaranteed, you are not going to keel over in a few hours if properly hydrated at the outset.

John

Absolutely - but in a Western European day out context, as opposed to up the jungle where if you don't need to pee, you need a drink, no.

When your return time, route and future availability of drinks are all guaranteed, you are not going to keel over in a few hours if properly hydrated at the outset.

John

Ok John , fair point you train for the worst...Train hard, fight easy etc but dehydration is quite prevelant even in Scotland amongst older and disabled people. If you don't drink, you don't have to get up and go to the loo. Someone I know has been in hospital teice in the past six months because of bladder infections due to dehydration and she doesn't go out walking because she can't. If people got used to upping their water intake when younger, they are used to it in later life. My Grandmother was always taking a wee cup of tee. She never had problems in that department.

Andy is right, I had the same problems with my mother-in-law who wouldn't drink all day so she didn't have to try to get up, and ended up in hospital 3 times in a year. And although we have a temperate climate here, we do have some pretty hot and humid days over the summer - in parts of the country anyway.

Well- being also a 'lady of a certain age' (in fact, it's my 50th birthday today!) I do identify with the issue. Personally, I long since went past caring (probably years of fell walking as well as birding has made me more or less immune to what anyone else thinks) and will wee just about anywhere when the need comes upon me. Not very ladylike I know...|:$|

My last visit to RSPB Rainham last month was what started me thinking about this. Having misjudged the time since my last cup of coffee, I was delighted to find that portaloo, and then disappointed to say the least that it was locked. I assumed that it was only opened for school trips, as it was next to an area that seems to be for children to do school work. There is a large two-storey hide near there, and I thought there might be one in there, but no. Made my way quickly back to the visitor centre, but was then too tired to go around again. And I feel that RSPB Rainham is not that big a reserve. I also had problems at the new Bowers Marsh Reserve when I walked the long outside path (by accident) and there was really nowhere to hide, or anywhere to go on the reserve anyway.

Last time I was at Ham Wall it also had a "Portaloo" marked "only to be used by school parties". Not locked so that problem was easily overcome!

Hi Seatallen, happy birthday to you! (I had my big one last year). I do envy your confidence, have never been good at going outside, but at a lot of the reserves there's nowhere to hide anyway. As mentioned above, a bit of judicious screen planting might help - some places are just flat and open. Also, I tend to stick to walking on the paths as I'm, dare I say it, terrified of snakes! I know, I know... I should just sit and watch the birds in the garden...

I've really always lived in city and town, and having discovered the great outdoors in the last couple of years, I just want to be out there all the time, and enjoying it too, not worrying about getting back in time.

Hi Seatallen, happy birthday to you! (I had my big one last year). I do envy your confidence, have never been good at going outside, but at a lot of the reserves there's nowhere to hide anyway. As mentioned above, a bit of judicious screen planting might help - some places are just flat and open. Also, I tend to stick to walking on the paths as I'm, dare I say it, terrified of snakes! I know, I know... I should just sit and watch the birds in the garden...

I've really always lived in city and town, and having discovered the great outdoors in the last couple of years, I just want to be out there all the time, and enjoying it too, not worrying about getting back in time.

Snakes are not a real problem in the UK, except maybe in central London....;)

John

Given the success of rain ponchos, perhaps there's a gap in the market for a slightly larger version, easily portable, that covers the wearer's modesty allowing for undercover relief. Dragon's Den here I come...o:D

JW

I agree with the disagreement :t:

Yes, a stroll around England - or other parts of the UK - does not constitute a hazard to hydration - even if you're out for six hours or more. The human body is designed to tolerate losses of water - just as it is tolerant to lack of food, etc.

There's a big difference to yomping up mountains with a 30KG rucksack at a trot, and birding.

This is a modern fad - like most elf&safety it's a nonsense.

Don't forget the hard hat - those falling leaves might hit you!

Beer is rated as better for hydration than water, so just take some water when you're thirsty and save the serious rehydration for afterwards. It is inadvisable to drink the beer first as far more "comfort breaks" may be required ;-)

Beer is rated as better for hydration than water,

I don't buy that, unless one is discussing low alcohol styles. At a certain alcohol % and quantity, the diuretic effects of alcohol surely outweigh the hydrating effects of the fluid consumed. If I have one or two beers at 6% abv, I get quite thirsty after an hour.

I do agree with "drink when you're thirsty" though. The whole idea that everybody needs exactly 8 glasses of water a day is nonsense - there is so much variability in water needs, both among individuals and within an individual depending on activity, climate, health, food consumed, etc that there can be no "one size fits all" water requirement. Drinking too much water can be just as dangerous as drinking too little (hyponatremia can be deadly).

If you're drinking 6% beer I'd agree (but tell me where you get it from first) :) You're totally right about drinking too much water, there was a quote from a doctor (in the context of sports running) in the UK press who said he'd never had to treat anyone for dehydration, but had to treat people for hyponatremia regularly.

I've worked for the RSPB on reserves in West Yorkshire albeit with nothing to do with the infrastructure.
although it would be lovely to have comfortable facilities regularly spread along trails, they do come with a few problems. the first of which I'd mention is that a building (or portaloo!) would take away from the area you're walking in some occasions. would a toilet/building ruin the view? The bigger issue though is that if you have a toilet block… they look after themselves. especially as most wilderness toilets are composting and require cleaning out and maintenance, and that costs money!
I'm afraid I'm an advocate of 'nicking' off into the woods. The hassle and disruption that comes with 'wild' toilets doesn't outweigh potential embarrassment in my eyes?

If you're drinking 6% beer I'd agree (but tell me where you get it from first) :)

At least in the states, most good craft brews are 4-6%, occasionally higher. Such can be hard to find or even illegal in rural areas of the Midwest/Southeast, but otherwise generally readily available anywhere that sells booze B :)

How to take a poo in the woods:
Quit reading if you are offended!
First, always pack a roll of papers or tissue in your pack. Second, start looking for a spot when you first feel a need. you want a small tree on a slope. . Stand on the downhill side of the tree and drop your knickers. Hold onto the tree and let the bad chi leave your system. Wipe all the important places, stand back up. Look about for a log or rock to cover the results.
This works better than the look for fallen tree system that I used for years. A proper seat is hard to locate in the woods, but a small tree is easy to find. I learned this system while working as a land surveyor, and they spend all day in the woods!

Damn, I wish there was a "like" button on this site :) Two additions, first re the beer. You actually want good cheap quaffing beer or lager, preferably cold, with a moderate alcohol level. From experience in near 40 degree centigrade heat after a 15K hike in Sardinia I'd recommend a litre of Peroni plus a huge bowl of Italian ice-cream.

Second, re what bears do in the woods, don't forget to make sure your paper supply is in a totally waterproof package, otherwise disappointment may ensue...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back