• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few birds from Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

Could you please help me with a few birds from Ecuador?

All the pictures were taken in November in Wild Sumaco Lodge.

Latitude: 0° 40' 16" S
Longitude: 77° 35' 56" W
Altitude: 1.509 metres

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 6E_IMG_0634.jpg
    6E_IMG_0634.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 7E_IMG_0500.jpg
    7E_IMG_0500.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 8E_IMG_9912.jpg
    8E_IMG_9912.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 9E_IMG_9283.jpg
    9E_IMG_9283.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 10E_IMG_9254.jpg
    10E_IMG_9254.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 34
Black-billed Thrush, Marble faced Bristle-tyrant, wood pewee sp and Olive-sided Flycatcher are my first guesses, without reference to a book. The first image of a tanager looks odd.

Agree on the thrush. I think the Bristle-tyrant could also be Variegated - not sure the picture is good enough to distinguish the two. Could the first picture be Russet-backed Oropendola? The bill looks a bit blunt, but the quality is pretty poor, so might be an artefact.

Andrea

According the checklist we ticked on that day the following tanagers:

- Magpie Tanager
- White-lined Tanager
- Silver-beaked Tanager
- Blue-gray Tanager
- Palm Tanager
- Blue-necked Tanager
- Paradise Tanager
- Bay-headed Tanager
- Summer Tanager
- Scarlet Tanager

Both Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) and Highland Hepatic-Tanager (Piranga lutea) are present in the checklist but none of them is ticked for the tour.

As I was in Wildsumaco Lodge (East slope) at 1.500 metres it could be a bit high for Highland Hepatic-Tanager (Piranga lutea) according the HBW Alive (1000–1350 m on E slope of Andes in Ecuador), if I read correctly.

Again, according HBWAlive, Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) is not present in Ecuador.

When you mention that it was a tanager I thought about a Summer tanager with an odd plumaje or a male White-lined tanager changing the plumage from immature to adult.

Anyway, I am not an expert on tanagers.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back