• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Free program for Photo Manipulation, The GIMP (4 Viewers)

I mentioned Linux because I know that Gimp was intended to run on it rather than Windows. I'm still having trouble with using Gimp and suspect that it may be related to the platform I'm using. I dropped the subject because the original replies to my post were, well, let me say, rather superior in tone.
Buying a book is usually a good idea but when the same books are available on line it seems a little pointless. I've already printed out a large amount of the manuals and tutorials just so that I can study them at leisure.
An example of my problem is as follows:
I have a picture, taken with my Coolpix 4500, of a flock of gulls. I can perfrom basic things like changes to sharpness, brightness and contrast etc. What I wanted to do was emphasis the red feet and legs of the gulls. The rest of the picture almost looks b&w. I went to the tutorials and followed commands Image>image>colours>decompose in order to play with the colourization. Problem is that Image>image>colours>decompose doesn't work, there is no image>image chain. I can go to layers>colours> but that doesn't lead to decompose. If I use the Layers, Channnels window I can bring up the three channels red, green, blue but can't make any changes to them. The basic problem is almost certainly me but I did think that it might be a windows problem.
Essentially the screens in the tutorials aren't the same as I'm seeing on my monitor. Obviously that means that I can't follow the instructions in the tutorials. I'm still working on the problems and today I'll probably check out the the FAQ's to see if they shine any light on my issues.
I suspect that I'm overlooking some basic concept and if that's the case I will crack this eventually. Oh well, back to trying.

:h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back