• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a New 70-300mm IS lens from canon (1 Viewer)

That looks like a highly desireable lens for someone like me, USM, IS and a circular aperture and for only $650! Nikon had best release some lenses like that fast or I am going to seriously consider dumping them and getting an EOS 20D with one of those lenses!

BTW,
All of Nikon's 70-300s are crummy, my Sigma 70-300 trounces both them in all areas, but Canon's 75-300s and 70-300s seem to be quite good!

Tyler Vargo said:
That looks like a highly desireable lens for someone like me, USM, IS and a circular aperture and for only $650! Nikon had best release some lenses like that fast or I am going to seriously consider dumping them and getting an EOS 20D with one of those lenses!
But it's Micro-USM, not Ring-USM. That means it lacks Full-Time Manual focussing. For shooting birds half-hidden by vegetation I find FTM a real boon. Obviously this was left out to leave some difference between this lens and the 70-300 DO.

However, at just £47 more than the old 75-300 IS, I have to agree that it looks like it could be a winner.

hollis_f said:
But it's Micro-USM, not Ring-USM. That means it lacks Full-Time Manual focussing.
I realise that but it makes no difference to me, even with my 18-70 which has FTM I flick the switch to manual to use MF. The AF/MF switch on the D70 is right near the base of the lens and all I have to do to use it is stretch my thumb back and hit it. Plus, I always use continuous AF mode so FTM makes no difference at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back