• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A rank beginner in New York, New York (1 Viewer)

Hi Arthur great news that waders have found the mud at the lake do you know if the lake will still be having the work done to it when the fall migration is under way ? keep the reports coming Good Birding Dave

Is the Russian fleet visiting New York?

That great blue heron is still turning up. For lovers of lepidoptera, I saw five small butterflies on one bush, which were all red admirals.

I doubt that the work will be finished before the end of November, but remind me to make inquiries in October.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Hi Arthur

Thats good news for the wader passage it will be worth checking you never know what might turn up look forward to here all about it Good Birding Dave

I was encouraged to go to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Am I too "laid back" to consider the ninety minute trip, by public transport, too much?

Though this dates to way back in 2004, I had to chuckle at this one ...in a month I will be flying 15 hours and then enduring the ninety minutes on the underground just to get there ;)

I'll be reading your thread with interest over the next month, as I plan quite some time in Central Park, sounds quite good that part of the lake is drained, is it expected to remain wet and muddy?

The advice I received from a Park worker was that the drained area would continue into November. There is a rill which runs into the drained part of the Lake and there are rains which keep the ground wet. There is also some vegetation springing up at the edges. Remember that this is not a tidal mudflat which gets washed by seawater on a daily basis.

That great blue heron is still visiting the Lake. Today, I also spotted a downy woodpecker at Hearnshead.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Great Blue Heron

Arthur

Is the Great Blue Heron not a common bird in your part of the country. We have quite a few here and they are always fun to see. It seems like they are just flying along and observing the world.

Arthur

Is the Great Blue Heron not a common bird in your part of the country. We have quite a few here and they are always fun to see. It seems like they are just flying along and observing the world.

I used to live in New York and I'll admit that they were not everyday birds even where they could be expected to be around. I've seen a few but definately not as many as I've seen down here. I would see Great Egrets more often in New York.

Marcus is quite right. Although the great blue heron is not a rare bird, even in wetlands, like Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, the Meadowlands and Little Neck Bay, they are far outnumbered by great egrets. In four years, I have seen perhaps three great blue herons, each of which my have been around for one day or several days.
There used to be a green heron pair which nested right where the construction is most intensive, the Upper Lobe of the Lake. I have been told that it my be near the pond not far from Central Park South, aka West 59th Street.
The mudflat was soaked, today, as we had four centimeters of rain, yesterday, in one and a half hours of downpour. The workers seem to be pumping the Upper Lobe to the mudflat, as well, where it can be pumped into the Lake.
The mallards have successfully raised many ducklings, which can be seen in the Lake, the mudflat or on Turtle Pond. Otherwise, I have seen nothing new, bu I hope that the end of the month may bring somethin new.

Happy bird watching,

Hi Arthur

Yes the Green Herons did nest where you say we saw them there in 2003 and 04 because of the work we could not get to that part of the lake in May this year Cant think that they could still be there with all the work but we did see one near the boat house

Keep the reports coming Dave

On Sunday, I found that the drained area was now under water. I do not think that it was rain but either the dam has a fault or it was intentionally filled. There is still plenty of water restricted to the Upper Lobe. The same situation was noted yesterday and today, when I could not find any of my usual informants. Clearly there is work to be done as there are piles of soil still protruding from the water.

Yesterday, I think that I may have seen a female yellow warbler. It is possible that activity may be increasing as we approach the equinox.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scirbe:

On Wednesday, I saw divers working on the dam, while the pumps were draining again, starting Friday. I could see some progress, even with some heavy rain, on Friday.

I have heard reports of other warblers in the Park, so there are some hints of changes to come. Once again, that great blue heron has been visiting the Lake.

Happy bird watching,

Shoreline Nature Preserve was very windy today, but afforded an opportunity to test my standard HR/5 Audubons, which just returned from Nicolas Crista in Boston. My faith is renewed in the supremacy of Porros and the wonder of older optics now fading from the birding scene.

A large flock of White Pelicans, many Snowy Egrets, Cormorants, Western Sandpipers, etc. made for a busy scene. I've taken to a large Sunday AFTERNOONS hat, but now it's not unusual even for men. Fashion takes second place to the baking sun.

Blue skies,
Ed

I have had little to report, so I have not written. The north end of the Lake was again under water, and again the divers were working. By today, there was a lot of mud, but they seem to be draining the Upper Lobe into that part of the Lake. I have doubts that the Lake will be filled, by winter. In any case, there were no sandpipers, today.

Today, I spotted a yellowstart and perhaps a Canadian warbler.

Happy bird watching,

You mean a redstart? Even though half of them are yellow.

The females...!

Arthur,
It is very slow isn't it! (BTW, I'm in Northern Westchester.) I read recently of the massive fish found in the Central Park lake, incredible!
I can only dream of seeing a Canada Warbler here at the moment, (note to self, get on the train!!!) only had a passing glance at my first this spring at Pound Ridge Reservation. Alas, Hawk watch time is very soon upon us!

Best,
Kristina

The females...!

Arthur,
It is very slow isn't it! I read recently of the massive fish found in the Central Park lake, incredible!

As a foreigner in New York for a week, I'm having an excellent time in Central Park - putting in quite a few hours, but getting the results - good variety of warblers ...American Redstart, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, Black and White Warbler, Northern Waterthrush, etc, etc. Other park birders seen Cape May and Hooded Warblers too. Also Wood Thrush and Veery, Ruby-throated Hummingbird and quite a bit more. Three Least Sandpipers, two Spotted Sandpipers and Solitary Sandpiper on the drained lake.

And then there is Jamaica Bay, but that's another story, fantastic.

Jos was rather lucky to see the sandpipers in Central Park, as the mudflat is back underwater. There are difficulties with that dam but the project requires the area to be dry. I have a feeling that the length of time required will rival the time spent on the Egyptian pyramids.

Happy observing,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back