• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A thread for KenM - Equipment list to help end your 'back of camera I.D' threads once and for all (2 Viewers)

Ratal

Dear KenM,
I love birdwatching, and I love a good ID post. I also strive hard to aid my fellow humans when I can. With that in mind and seeing your recent mauling? I decided to start this for your consideration. (I also deal daily with technology that seems to have gone under your tech radar, so? I thought I'd write this up - with links - to every bit of low cost kit, that will allow you to quickly take a photo from your memory card, save it to your phone, and then? THEN you can edit it and send that crystal clear image to birdforum.net.)

So without further ado. Kit list.

ANKER SD card reader with USB.

Cable USB C to USB A (If yours is a phone with another cable type, swap out accordingly. If you are unsure? Just tell me the phone and I'll link you the required cable).

Memory card

You already have one

So how does all this work? Well, you attach the cable to the USB reader. Once attached? Connect to your phone. When connected up? Remove your camera storage card and slide it into the reader. Just like that - you are now able to save pictures directly to your phone, and then?

UPLOAD ORIGINAL PICTURES TO BIRDFORUM.NET!

No more pictures of pictures on a screen.

Direct to us via the magic of a couple of quid spent on Amazon.

Attachments

• KenM.jpg
    KenM.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 12
Dear KenM,
I love birdwatching, and I love a good ID post. I also strive hard to aid my fellow humans when I can. With that in mind and seeing your recent mauling? I decided to start this for your consideration. (I also deal daily with technology that seems to have gone under your tech radar, so? I thought I'd write this up - with links - to every bit of low cost kit, that will allow you to quickly take a photo from your memory card, save it to your phone, and then? THEN you can edit it and send that crystal clear image to birdforum.net.)

So without further ado. Kit list.

ANKER SD card reader with USB.

Cable USB C to USB A (If yours is a phone with another cable type, swap out accordingly. If you are unsure? Just tell me the phone and I'll link you the required cable).

Memory card

You already have one

So how does all this work? Well, you attach the cable to the USB reader. Once attached? Connect to your phone. When connected up? Remove your camera storage card and slide it into the reader. Just like that - you are now able to save pictures directly to your phone, and then?

UPLOAD ORIGINAL PICTURES TO BIRDFORUM.NET!

No more pictures of pictures on a screen.

Direct to us via the magic of a couple of quid spent on Amazon.
There are also these all-in-one options;

They’re available in usb c, micro and lightening versions depending on your phone. I use them with both my iPad mini and apple phone and they work well.

Mark

Deffo a good idea - happily there are more than a few ways to do it - but hopefully we can sort KenM out and get some decent photos from him instead of gloomy back of camera shots.

Deffo a good idea - happily there are more than a few ways to do it - but hopefully we can sort KenM out and get some decent photos from him instead of gloomy back of camera shots.
Sounds a little bit like ....

Attachments

• hale_pace.jpg
    hale_pace.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 8
Very thoughtful suggestions to help out one of our keener contributors with ID consultations.

Cheers Pyrtle - I saw KenM's recent Sparrowhawk thread and thought it was better to try aid him with a few pointers, so we could see his original out of camera JPEG images (and not back of camera third hand as per usual.)

One day he will find an absolute belter and itll go under the BF radar as it's back of camera and no one looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back