• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A trip down memory lane (1 Viewer)

The Habicht porros also made it, although known then as Habicht rather than Swaro and even then a bit dear!

Or was Habicht a stand alone company later purchased by Swaro?

Below is a link to a presentation by Dr. Gijs vanGinkel on the history of Swarovski Optik. Slides 23 and 24 indicate that the first Swarovski binocular from 1949 was named Habicht.

It's enjoyable and informative to just read through all of the slides. I would love to have heard it in person.

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/documenten/pdf/HISTORY-AND-QUALITY-DEVELOPMENT-OF-SWAROVSKI-OPTIK-1935-TO-THE%20PRESENT-TIME.pdf

Below is a link to a presentation by Dr. Gijs vanGinkel on the history of Swarovski Optik. Slides 23 and 24 indicate that the first Swarovski binocular from 1949 was named Habicht.

It's enjoyable and informative to just read through all of the slides. I would love to have heard it in person.

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/documenten/pdf/HISTORY-AND-QUALITY-DEVELOPMENT-OF-SWAROVSKI-OPTIK-1935-TO-THE%20PRESENT-TIME.pdf

Just become a member of the Binocular History Society. They have several meetings in the US and Europe.

Jan

Ed,

Thanks for the link and the attachment. That really takes me back, is there any way I can get to see the rest of the catalogue pages, it looks my first binoculars would be in there. Swift 10x50 with a blue band bought in 1972 I think. I wish I'd kept them because optically I imagine they wouldn't compare too favourably with the latest alphas but at the time I was perfectly content with them and can still remember vividly some of the sightings I had through them. I wasn't aware of any short comings with them at the time and can still remember the shock I had when I looked through the first pair of roofs - I really didn't like the view at all - after years with Porros.
At the time I didn't understand why but going from a big easy bright 3D view to the flatter, somewhat narrower view with more critical eye placement didn't make a good impression.
Unfortunately the Swifts had a short, tough life, the covering stated to peel off and then I gave them a few hard knocks and the focusing mechanism suffered. I stuck with Porros for several more years though and would love to look through a really good pair again.

All the best,

Phil

Phil,

That was taken from the American 1974-5 catalog, so none of the Swift-Pyser markings show on the binoculars. Also, there is no 10x50 listed except for the Model 751 Admiral Mk 1, with a "wide field" of 420'.

There is also a less expensive 10x50 of Z-design in the Aerolite series.

I doubt these would kindle warm and fuzzy memories for you. Sorry. But I'll copy if you wish.

Ed

I recently acquired this 1989, 32 pg. Swarovski Optik catalog. As Henry mentioned, all their binoculars were called HABICHT. At least in this US catalog, however, Z-style products were simply referred to as "Porro prism binoculars."

Ed

Attachments

• Swarovski catalog 1989.jpg
    Swarovski catalog 1989.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Ed, That looks more a book than catologue, nice find. Those 7x green armor porro's look exactly like today's model.

Thanks Ed

I think you're right, my memories are fuzzy enough ;)

I am curious how those early Swifts would compare with modern optics though.

Thanks Ed

I think you're right, my memories are fuzzy enough ;)

I am curious how those early Swifts would compare with modern optics though.

I have a Swift Audubon 804 which is over 40 years old, and comparing it back to back with my Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, it is amazing how good the Swift still is.
Sure the Zeiss is brighter and sharper, but I have still never looked through a bin that has such a lovely relaxed and wide view as an 804 Audubon. I also have a Nikon 8x30 E11 that my wife likes to use, and the Audubon compares very favourably with that also.
a true classic.

Sandy

I have a Swift Audubon 804 which is over 40 years old, and comparing it back to back with my Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, it is amazing how good the Swift still is.
Sure the Zeiss is brighter and sharper, but I have still never looked through a bin that has such a lovely relaxed and wide view as an 804 Audubon. I also have a Nikon 8x30 E11 that my wife likes to use, and the Audubon compares very favourably with that also.
a true classic.

Sandy

Agree Sandy, my Audubon is lovely to use, they are a bit heavy compared to modern, but it gives lovely wide relaxed views. I have an old 60s Swift Oceanic 6x30, which Ed told me a bit about, I have compared it with my Hartmann 6x30 and a Zeiss Jenna 6x30 and I have to say this old budget range swift is pretty much as good as both, the FOV is maybe a bit less but the swift is a little brighter.

Trivia correction: In post #10 I incorrectly said:
...Although Bausch & Lomb Optical Co. was originally an American manufacturer, by then only its logo seemed to remain under Bushnell ownership. How many of those were popular in the UK or Europe?
Actually, it was the reverse. In 1976 Bushnell was a Division of Bausch & Lomb, and three "B&L" binoculars were included in the Bushnell Sports Optics catalog. The catalog also reveals that the 7x26 Bushnell Custom Compact was originally designed for hunters, but became popular with birders and was later selected by NASA for Gemini space flights as a backup sighting system for docking maneuvers.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back