• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Valid Bino Review (1 Viewer)

ranburr

Gun Test magazine (guntest.com) has completed their review of 10x42 binos. The interesting part of their reviews is the fact that they have no advertising in their publication and they purchase anything that they do a review on. Manufacturers are in no way involved with the process. Thus, you get the closest thing to an unbiased review as you can hope for.

ranburr

You may have to do better with the link as that appears to be nothing other than advertising (in fact it may have to go). If the review was in a physical mag, maybe you could encapsulate the findings for us.
Andy

Although I like Gun Tests, I think their optics reviews are pretty weak and not of much interest to most BFers.

They preferred the Zeiss 10x42FL over the Ultravid and SLC 10x42s although its not really clear why. They do consider all 3 to be very good. One surprise is that their Ultravid supposedly weighed 37.3 oz. They also didn't like the Ultravid price of $1,700.

They compact feel of the SLCs was liked as well as their $1,179 price.

Their firearm reviews are much better.

I did not get a chance to read the review in question but did notice that Outdoor Life did a recent review of new binos. I believed they chose the Nikon Premier LXL as their "Editor's Choice" for new full sized binos with the Zeiss FL coming in second. I am unsure if the review is online but I do have access to a hardcopy down at the shop.

ranburr said:
they have no advertising in their publication and they purchase anything that they do a review on.
I am afraid that they fall in the same pitfall as many other reviews (Cornell, Outdoor Life?) - that they actually review only one sample of each model, which may or may not be representative.

Ilkka

iporali said:
I am afraid that they fall in the same pitfall as many other reviews (Cornell, Outdoor Life?) - that they actually review only one sample of each model, which may or may not be representative.

Ilkka

I appreciate that there will be sample variation even among the highest priced models but shouldn't we expect fairly decent quality control on such high priced items. Few of us are going to be able to test out more than one or maybe two at the most.

Very interesting discussion. When ranburr referred to "unbiased" in Post #1 he was clearly talking about the initial selection of the sample, not whether the reviewers themselves were neutral or unbiased as individuals. When more than one reviewer is involved, obvious differences (e.g, experience, technical knowledge, personal property, hunter, birder, naturalist, astronomer, etc.) need to be kept track of and represented in the results. It makes little sense (IMHO) to simply average over such evaluator differences, because it may well be that hunters see things differently than birders, people who own Leicas differently than those who own Swaros, etc. Moreover, since people vary greatly in how they scale observed differences, care must be taken to normalize for this factor. So, IMO, the meaningfulness of any review is largely conditional upon the populations that the reviewers represent, as well as the skill of the analyst to tease out product differences from potential observer "biases". BTW, observer biases are a fact of life. They are only "bad" when misleading (i.e., invalid) conclusions are drawn by unskilled analysts. Finally, as Ilkka implied, it would be very advantageous for a a thoroughgoing product review to include a sample of at least three binoculars of each type so that the results can be interpreted in the light of within-product as well as between-product variation.

Elkcub

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back