• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very odd weekend at Marshside/Southport. (1 Viewer)

Kmonty and Marcus: Thanks.

A link I wanted to post in this thread is to the RAMSAR summary for the Ribble and Alt Estuaries - it opens a .pdf file.

I did pop down tonight and for once I didn't take a trawl round the sand plant! I usually do. But I spent some time in Nels, and the rest on the new bench overlooking Polly's Pool (referred to a number of times by me as the scrape at the back of Marshside 2)

In the context of what I've seen the last few days I didn't see anything new tonight, and indeed saw no Garganey or Little Gull. The thunderstorm of earlier today brought enough rain for the main lagoons to have returned to how they were 10 days ago, far more sloppy gloup for avocets and blackwits to sift through, so they were well spread out again. There were more than 30 dunlin on Polly's Pool, and a lot of Grey Heron, 10+, teaching their young about the delight of crunchy avocet chicks, no doubt! Wigeon, Teal and Gadwall all in good numbers in front of Nels. And the single Turnstone, still there ... If anything, blackwit numbers were up ...

I tried in vain to get some decent shots of sedgies, or whitethroat. I saw a lot, but didn't get any photos worth mentioning.

Walking up to Crossens, the Police ICR portakabin is still blocking off the path along Crossens Sluice, crime scene tape too. I have heard it said that this was the week that brought Red Kite, Black Stork and Dead Manc to Marshside, and yet most of us missed all three. I wouldn't repeat that though, it would be in poor taste. Anyway, apparently he was from Oldham. Given the fact that I walk past the site where the body was found more often than most apart from those who go there daily to deposot dog poo I thought the bizzies might have asked me a few questions, but they ignored me both time I walked past them, more interested in their junk food. So I asked them how much longer they would be keeping the Sluice path closed, as I haven't seen or heard tell of the Barn Owl since they moved into its prime hunting ground. They said they'll be off tomorrow. I asked them if they could please be good enough to remove all the Police tape now strewn around the trees too. Then I legged it to catch the 10pm 49 bus, which fortunately was a couple of minutes late.

Following your replies earlier, Marcus, I was prompted to take a few landscape shots of the site for you! The first one's looking east from the Coastal Road out over Polly's Pool towards Marshside village, then south-west over the sandworks, then south over Sandgrounder's hide towards Southport. The last one's just a handheld shot of some avocet - they're everywhere you look down there these days!

Attachments

• 2006.06.12 SG_004.JPG
    2006.06.12 SG_004.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 2006.06.12 SG_005.JPG
    2006.06.12 SG_005.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 2006.06.12 SG_006.JPG
    2006.06.12 SG_006.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 2006.06.12 SG_007.JPG
    2006.06.12 SG_007.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
News on the colour-ringed Blackwit:

Hello Simon

Many thanks for the sighting. Apologies for the late reply but Tomas has
been on fieldwork. I am replying on his behalf.

WO LO was ringed as a female in N Iceland. Top line is the day of ringing.
Details below.

Langhús, Fljót, N Iceland
N Ice

Medway Estuary, Kent, SE England
SE Eng

Thanks again and all the best,

Sigga Beta

Not been out much, apart from an hour last Sunday morning. Think I'll head there now ...

Last edited:
Snaps from tonight's star bird, write up later

Attachments

• 2006.06.22 SG OYSTERCATCHERS 01.JPG
    2006.06.22 SG OYSTERCATCHERS 01.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 120
  • 2006.06.22 SG OYSTERCATCHERS 02.JPG
    2006.06.22 SG OYSTERCATCHERS 02.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 123
Well now. I've not been out for nearly a fortnight, so the chance to grab a quick hour prior to the France v Portugal game was too good to miss. All I did was plonk myself down in Nels Hide between thunderstorms. Outside the marsh was far drier, but there was still water in the channels in front of the hide, and in Junction Lagoon. Lots of avocets still, inclusing some very young juveniles; plus plenty of very young lapwing chicks too. I didn't get to look at Sandgrounders, Polly's Pool, around the sand works or anywhere else, largely because of what caught my eye the moment I entered the hide.

Now I am something of a novice, and this would be what I believe would be therefore a "lifer" for me, but this struck me as a Spotted Redshank. The fact that the legs aren't very black worries me, but the tiny curve at the end of the bill, the general colouration, and its tendency to feed a bit further out into the channel thank the accompanying redshank give me some confidence:

Attachments

• 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_001.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_001.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_002.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_002.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_003.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_003.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 109
  • 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_004.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_004.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 92
  • 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_005.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_005.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
And if that wasn't enough, there was this little fella too, who I'd mark down as a juvenile Little Ringed Plover until someone more knowledgeable points me in the right direction (plus a couple more of my alleged Spotted Redshank too...)

Attachments

• 2006.07.05 SG LITTLE RINGED PLOVER JUV_001.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG LITTLE RINGED PLOVER JUV_001.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2006.07.05 SG LITTLE RINGED PLOVER JUV_002.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG LITTLE RINGED PLOVER JUV_002.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 2006.07.05 SG LITTLE RINGED PLOVER JUV_003.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG LITTLE RINGED PLOVER JUV_003.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_008.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_008.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_007.JPG
    2006.07.05 SG SPOTTED REDSHANK_007.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 102
Thanks Graham and Trevor, feedback makes it all worthwhile!

You're right about how close the Spotted Redshank was (and the LRP) - hence the vignetting on the pics, I could hardly use any zoom on the camera or they wouldn't fit in the field of view! They were 50-100m away throughout.

Last edited:
I've been asked to volunteer at Marshside when i turn 16. Which i would be very happy to do. So you and me may be seeing more of eachother from October. ;)

Krispo said:
I've been asked to volunteer at Marshside when i turn 16. Which i would be very happy to do.

Why do you have to be 16? All you need to know is what a Black-tailed Godwit looks like and how to drink tea ;)

Menzie

Last edited:
Tea? You'll be lucky. Once in hundreds of visits have I been offered a cup of tea!

I take a hip-flask ...

to be fair most of the volunteers are very helpfull. Graham, the head warden knows the place like the back of his hand. he walked in at about 4:30 and the first thing he said was: "golden plover over there" everyone else had missed it. the water levels are right down! so its easy picking for the herons. We could see the eels slithering past the hide! looks like word spreads fast too there was no less than 18 herons there!

Last edited:
Krispo said:
to be fair most of the volunteers are very helpfull. Graham, the head warden knows the place like the back of his hand. he walked in at about 4:30 and the first thing he said was: "golden plover over there" everyone else had missed it. the water levels are right down! so its easy picking for the herons. We could see the eels slithering past the hide! looks like word spreads fast too there was no less than 18 herons there!

Graham's known the place since he was a kid. But he's an Evertonian, so beware. When were you there last? I was there Sunday last for a couple of hours. Very little water south of Marshside Road - although I only got a fleeting glimpse from Hesketh Road of a significant puddle down that end that was teeming with gulls and deserved scanning, but I didn't get chance. Still a couple of adult avocet with a pair of young in Junction lagoon, the only other significant water that side. In front of A knot in breeding plumage was with a decent stand of blackwits on the shores of the sand lagoons, and in front of and to the left of Sandgrounders were a ruff, a greenshank, a couple of common sandpipers, a dozen or more grey heron, a little grebe, a pair of wigeon, and plenty of young redshank. On Polly's Pool as well as more blackwit and scores of black-headed gulls were a dozen curlew. Oystercatchers were scattered throughout in good numbers - a couple of dozen perhaps, as were linnet - plenty more around the sandworks with skylarks and meadow pipit. Five avocet flew overhead whilst I was on the shore-side of the sandworks.

Been a bit full-on at work this week so opportunities somewhat limited. But I'll get out this weekend, probably Sunday again.

Last edited:
i was there last saturday and the wednesday just gone. doubt i'll be able to make it this weekend or the weekend after.

The weekend's off to an unusual start - cockatiel escape in the back garden! Not sure where that came from ... it's flown off towards Marshside!

SiG said:
The weekend's off to an unusual start - cockatiel escape in the back garden! Not sure where that came from ... it's flown off towards Marshside!

Careful!!

I think you should have a look at the Pine Grosbeak thread before you make something like that public. (I don't know though £5 for parking - I'll phone birguides)

All the best

Ken.

was there today. almost no water. even mallards catching eels!! dipped a greenshank again. not many redshank. a few blackwits. avocets all gone 35 Herons. 2 common sands and a snipe. still 3 ferel barnicles

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back