• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A visit to Pulborough (1 Viewer)

A windless cloudless and very frosty Saturday morning in deepest Sussex (well, Pulborough!) was perfect conditions to get up early and catch the proverbial worm. I got to the RSPB resever at 8am and the car park was swarming with birds (mostly the usual small passerines interested in the feeders) with Green and Great-spotted woodpeckers flying about and drilling the trees.

After seeing my first Bullfinch the previous week, I saw three at Pulborough - two females together and then a single male later on in the morning.

And two lifers on the day - first off a single Treecreeper caught my attention as I turned a corner and saw something move up the trunk of a tree, and then seeing two more together on a different tree later on. And secondly, right at the end of the day when I'd been hoping to see one all along - a Fieldfare! At last, I was starting to worry that I was the only birder in Britain who hadn't seen a Fieldfare all winter! Actually, I have probably seen loads of them, but whenever I see a flock of thrushes it's always mile away, or flying near or through the sun, or they flew over me just as I was looking through my bins at something else - never a good enough look to ID them; for a while I thought there was some Fieldfare-conspiracy against me!

The brooks are still flooded, with plenty of wildfowl about. Mute Swans, Canada Geese galore, the odd Greylag, Teal, some Pintail, Wigeon and Pochard. Also saw a couple of Peregrines (or the same one twice - the two sightings were about an hour apart), which is always a lovely sight.

And the best part of the morning - the pot of tea and lovely cake in the café to warm me up! What more could you ask for…?

It was a lovely morning's birding, with a very good number of birds on show. I do like Pulborough, and must endeavour to go there more often when in Sussex.

---------------------

Edit:

Forgot to mention, that with the Treecreeper I reached the 100 species mark on my Sussex list. So a lovely pint to all Treecreepers! ;)

And the Fieldfare has now made it 101, and my life list is on 112 - seven added in January alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back