• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Zeiss Conquest HD on steroids. (4 Viewers)

I was looking at a few birds and a couple of deer earlier and couldn’t see too much difference between my Steiner 8x30’s and the Conquest 8x32’s other than a lot less glare looking towards the east and wider FOV with Conquests.
This does raise the question: what improvements are you looking for over your Steiner/Opticrons? They will already have a very decent image. For some reason I've been struck lately by how few of the latest/greatest bins I see in the field, even on experienced birders. (Exactly two NLs and two SFs so far, and otherwise some ELs or Leica BNs on older folks, but mostly midrange glass like Vortex or Opticron.) What are you seeing people use that you covet?

I'd like to find a binocular with a brighter, clearer view and eye-strain free. The Steiner 8x30's are a great little binocular that was made specifically for Amazon and only cost $100. The inexpensive 6x35 Opticron Savannas were bought for watching birds close up in our backyard. I've read some positive reviews on the Conquests and Opticron Auroras and thought it would be worth upgrading. Vortex Vipers and Niikon Monarch 7's are what I've mostly seen people using in my area and very few with Conquests or Swarovski's. I paid a little more for the new Conquest 8x32's than what the Vipers and M7's cost; however, that's still the most I've ever spent on a pair of binoculars. Thank you for the reply!

I'd like to find a binocular with a brighter, clearer view and eye-strain free. The Steiner 8x30's are a great little binocular that was made specifically for Amazon and only cost $100. The inexpensive 6x35 Opticron Savannas were bought for watching birds close up in our backyard. I've read some positive reviews on the Conquests and Opticron Auroras and thought it would be worth upgrading. Vortex Vipers and Niikon Monarch 7's are what I've mostly seen people using in my area and very few with Conquests or Swarovski's. I paid a little more for the new Conquest 8x32's than what the Vipers and M7's cost; however, that's still the most I've ever spent on a pair of binoculars. Thank you for the reply!
The Conquests HD 8x32 should definitely be an upgrade from the Steiner's. Another one you might try is the Nikon HG 8x42. They are a nice lightweight binocular, and you can get them for all around $700.

The Conquests HD 8x32 should definitely be an upgrade from the Steiner's. Another one you might try is the Nikon HG 8x42. They are a nice lightweight binocular, and you can get them for all around $700.
The Conquest has less glare and is clearer around the edges than the Steiners. It's definitely better glass. I haven't seen the Nikon HG's that low yet but will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back