• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (5 Viewers)

I know...
Trust me; go with the number further down on the right.

EDIT: Laura and John got their Ross's Gull today, too.

Joe

Last edited:
EDIT: Olaf got the Ross's Gull today (31 of them actually...)

http://olafsbigyear.blogspot.co.uk/

He's also mentioned his lower 48 list in his blog - American Dipper for 700 I think he said? Maybe he's hanging out for that record in a year? I'm thinking John has perhaps spent more time in Alaska and also added more new birds (commoner species that Olaf already had) up there, so perhaps he has a chance?

Christian mentioned Hawaii earlier too ... aside the code 1's he's also cleaned up on the summer migrants as per earlier posts ... all he has to do now is get a winter/fall Yellow Rail (as per earlier posts too) and maybe he is on for the code 1/2 cleanup too?

I may just be a stupid Yank, but that really doesn't seem like an egregious grammar error. Have you read Olaf's blog?

PS, you spelled your name wrong.

Not yet read Olaf's blog, but "'Those with whom I've discussed this with" has a redundant "with": I don't think you would say "those with whom I'm partying with", now would you?

Stupid Brit can't even spell his own name: oops! 8-P

J'hn :t:

By not adding it to his list right now - and only updating his list later? I am not too familiar with ABA rules - would that be an issue?

The issue is where would he get this bird?

If it was on one of his Alaskan trips...well other people would have also seen it an reported it. Unless he didn't tell anyone else about it. But then people would assume he is lying, and more then likely his guides and fellow tour participants would be (justifiably) ticked off. Is he willing to do that and risk those companies banning him from any future trips?

In the lower 48, almost all the birding as far as actual vagrants are concerned is in the form of twitching other people's rarities. There's no point in hiding any bird that John also successfully twitched. If he should remarkably stumble upon some rare vagrant while he himself is in the field (not incredibly likely IMHO), he also risks people thinking he hoaxed the sighting.

I just don't see much a way of hiding anything without dealing with a bad aftermath. Maybe early on had he played things closer to his chest like John, but at this point there really isn't much benefit to it.

I know...
Trust me; go with the number further down on the right.

EDIT: Laura and John got their Ross's Gull today, too.

But Christian didn't ... http://www.thebirdingproject.com/blog/2016/10/7/above-the-arctic-circle

wrt Olaf 'hiding' birds ... he certainly had an aborted attempt at the Chickadee (weather meant he couldn't go) earlier on - I'm not sure any of us should really be logging his movements that closely but he may have had an opportunity to head off into the wilds for a staked out bird at some far out location with a private charter spruce goose thing in amongst his comings and goings? Perhaps, but otherwise ...

So with 75 or so days remaining, it appears to be 769 vs 766, with John still having a couple of gettable birds and Olaf relying on rarities, right? Does someone have an update of which birds John has that Olaf doesn't and vice versa?

Yes, yes he did. It's my belief that he possibly saw one, possibly in some trees. I cannot reveal at this point why I believe this.

Interesting; I haven't heard anything about that. Which isn't to say you're not right. I've not heard that he's given that one a try.

Here's the updated "By Code" list, which makes it easy to see the comparisons.

Joe

Attachments

• BigYears2016ByCode.xlsx
    553.7 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back