• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Here's the updated "By Code" list, which makes it easy to see the comparisons.

So it would appear at least three (and maybe four?) of Olaf's birds are easily gettable by John, with maybe one (the Dove) fairly easily gettable by Olaf. Tough hill for Olaf to climb at this stage in the year...

JW but not OD:

Smew
Hawaiian Petrel
WT Tropicbird
Common Sandpiper
Long-toed Stint
Ruddy Ground Dove
Rustic Bunting
Brambling
Kelp Gull
Yellow-legged Gull (?)
Red-flanked Bluetail
Pin-tailed Snipe
Cuban Vireo

OD but not JW:

Harris's Sparrow
Smith's Longspur
McKay's Bunting
Trinidade Petrel
Least Storm Petrel
Great Skua
Siberian Rubythroat
Great Knot
Hawfinch
Marsh Sandpiper

I'd argue that Brambling is maybe gettable...there have been a pretty good streak of them showing up on the mainland in winter in the last few years.

But yeah with Alaska migration largely done and pelagic season nearly over it would take a miracle for Olaf to seize the lead and become the new record holder. The last solid potential destination I think left is to try for Adak in November/Early December and hope for some overwintering rare finches and ducks. Otherwise it's just hanging around and hoping novel rarities pop up (and of course cleaning up the few things John is still missing as far as regular birds go).

I simply flag up that even if Olaf has a good run to get in the race, I would almost expect a retrospective identification from John to pull away again....

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/

'Those two were blown away by the number and diversity of Storm-petrels, and we’re all still looking at our photos to resolve ID for a couple of birds encountered. There were a couple of odd Storm-petrels the day before as well.'

All the best

I simply flag up that even if Olaf has a good run to get in the race, I would almost expect a retrospective identification from John to pull away again....

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/

'Those two were blown away by the number and diversity of Storm-petrels, and we’re all still looking at our photos to resolve ID for a couple of birds encountered. There were a couple of odd Storm-petrels the day before as well.'

All the best
If anything came of those Storm-petrel photos, I am sure they would be posted in John's blog and we would all know about them, and how any identification was determined.

Yep, and better to be out there than trolling from an armchair.

Indeed and hopefully you'll get through that stage.

Nothing at all wrong with retrospectively adding a species once an ID has been resolved. It's much better than retrospectively adding a species following a suppressed sighting...

Cheers,

Nigel

Absolutely. Rapid and full dissemination of information at the heart of twitching and yearlisting.

My comment was solely what I have seen done in the past. It is based on experience which was not gained from an armchair.

All the best

Last edited:
...and Christian also added Lesser Sand-Plover. I added Steve Perry's 1987 Big Year to the sheets. One by one...

Joe

Attachments

• BigYears2016.xlsx
    71.2 KB · Views: 27
  • BigYears2016ByCode.xlsx
    556.7 KB · Views: 30
Spotted Dove for Laura gives her 740!
Joe

Joe

It is remarkable that if it were not for John's and Olaf's efforts this year, that there would have currently been a significant amount of focus on when Laura would beat Neil Hayward's record.

With so many gettable Code 1 and 2 species available to her (c15?), do you have a feel for how determined she is to set the highest total she can (notwithstanding the fact that she seems destined for third)?

All the best

What non-coded birds do Laura and Christian still need?

Basically...are all 4 big year birders going to break the previous record? it sure like it!

My guess, if I had to bet a bob (as if I know what the heck a bob is...), is that Laura will end up with 758 and Christian at 755.
They're both in serious clean-up mode. I'll be interested to see how many of the four make a trip to Hawaii. Those species won't count toward this year's "ABA Continental" total, but if they put in the new list category they'll have numbers to submit for that, too. Might as well, if it fits into their schedules, as they'll never have a 730+ base again. I wonder if anyone will ever go for 700 twice; Sandy Komito is wonderfully certifiable.

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back