• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

True but IIRC Kauai doesn't have mongoose, so it would help that island alot, which I think has seen the most precipitous collapses of avifauna in recent years

You're quite right, the mongoose plague that shocked me was on Maui.
You have the experience on Kauai, I've never been on it, just helicoptered over it, a natural paradise.

Oh I wish I had the experience of Kauai...Hawaiian Islands are still in my list of places I most want to bird.

Go when you can, they are just wonderful, even though the lowlands are dominated by imported birds.
Sadly lacking is the willingness to sacrifice a little now to preserve the biological treasures that remain. Using the islands to test GM crop varieties is an illustration of this mindset, as is the lack of concern about feral pigs decimating the native plants. Nobody important speaks for the natural wealth of the state, so it is dribbling away.

Two weeks from today!
I'll be happier once John gets the Smith's Longspur and Christian gets the Dovekie; three birders nailing all the Code 1 and Code 2 species in one year, which hadn't happened even once before this year. Laura won't be the first Big Year birder to miss Mottled Petrel...
Neil Hayward came the closest prior to this year, missing only Common Ringed Plover (Code 2); John Vanderpoel missed two Code 2 birds: Mottled Petrel and Wood Sandpiper.

Joe

Two weeks from today!
I'll be happier once John gets the Smith's Longspur and Christian gets the Dovekie; three birders nailing all the Code 1 and Code 2 species in one year, which hadn't happened even once before this year. Laura won't be the first Big Year birder to miss Mottled Petrel...
Neil Hayward came the closest prior to this year, missing only Common Ringed Plover (Code 2); John Vanderpoel missed two Code 2 birds: Mottled Petrel and Wood Sandpiper.

Joe

Joe

Presumably cleaning up Code 1 & 2 species is made significantly easier by Internet information (particularly eBird with the United States dataset)?

All the best

No question. Even before this Biggest Year, I had a sequence of slides about "The Changing Game" included in my Big Year program. The first one features the Pettingill Guides, then the Lane Guides, ABA birdfinding guides, etc. until we reach the Internet. Listserves and eBird are huge factors, of course. On a local level, cell phones.
My favorite story about the changing game: in 2007 I finished conducting a rehearsal, checked my email, called my wife to tell her there was a White-winged Dove at Montrose (20 minutes away) that a guy had in his scope. State bird for me at the time. Drove down, walked up and looked through the scope, as the bird hadn't moved an inch. A fairly common occurance now, of course, but that was the first time it had happened like that for me, and it was because the birder posted to the Illinois listserve from his cellphone. Game-changer.

Joe

Joe

Presumably cleaning up Code 1 & 2 species is made significantly easier by Internet information (particularly eBird with the United States dataset)?

All the best

Code 1 and 2 birds should be relatively easy. I blame lack of code updates on why some of these get missed. Wood Sandpiper really should not be a code 2 bird at all.

Assuming the Egret and Spot-billed Duck are both kicked, where do we stand Olaf vs. John with about one week to go? I guess Smith's Longspur will lock it up for John, but I feel like Olaf is pretty close otherwise?

Assuming the Egret and Spot-billed Duck are both kicked, where do we stand Olaf vs. John with about one week to go? I guess Smith's Longspur will lock it up for John, but I feel like Olaf is pretty close otherwise?

I think currently that 779 plays 777.

John has nine species on Olaf:-
Smew
Hawaiian Petrel
White-tailed Tropicbird
Common Sandpiper
Long-toed Stint
Pin-tailed Snipe
Kelp Gull
Gray-headed Chickadee
Red-flanked Bluetail

Olaf has seven species on John:-
Trinidade Petrel
Red-footed Booby
Marsh Sandpiper
Great Knot* (subject of some discussion)
Siberian Rubythroat
Smith's Longspur
Yellow Grosbeak

(I'll be glad when Joe has checked that.)

John has photographed all bar c50 species and of the missing ones, some should have been pretty straightforward to photograph on multiple occasions eg Purple Martin and Wood Stork so presumably he'll dig out photos at some point? A quarter of those not photographed were understandable Owls, Rails and Nightjars.

All the best

Last edited:
Last edited:
Admittedly, I've never seen a Great Knot, but we get Red Knots here in various plumages. These aren't Red Knots in any plumage I've ever seen.
It's interesting that Sibley mentions this about Great Knots: "Breeding plumage of adult resembles breeding plumage of Surfbird." So I look up his drawings of Surfbird and I totally get it.

Joe

The twist to the Knot story that I heard, and am hopefully remembering the details correctly, is that others prior to Olaf thought they had the Great Knots. I think they made the call to let others (including Olaf) know about them, but then later realized that the birds were not Great Knots. Instead, I believe they might have been Rock Sandpipers. At those extreme viewing distances, confusing a Rock Sandpiper for a Great Knot is understandable.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back