• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABC Birds (1 Viewer)

Thanks Alex.... one of the stars (and quite unexpected too) from my visit to Bowra Reserve in nearly 40C temperatures!

Brown Goshawk

BF Brown Goshawk ABC thread.jpg

Find the list of already played birds on the first page.

Gosh! Was that still free!!!

Sorry no I's. Some I've seen/heard, but not got a picture. I'm fast running out of anything to use now.

Ooops! Making a habit of this..... forgot to post this - it's been sitting for hours LOL. Sorry

Oh great!!! Welcome to the thread. Someone with a new set of birds.

I've used my Js and Ks, so still can't play.

Hi Benji and welcome. J has been a problem for us for many rounds now. So go ahead with your K; just check it's not been used yet by looking at the first post here: first page.

I'm pretty sure the only remaining J I've ever even seen is Pomarine Jaeger/Skua, but I didn't get a photo.
Yeah... I've a few like that too, some of my Australian birds were heard only and some just couldn't get the picture through the bushes or whatever.

Frustrating eh?

We don't normally, but if no-one else can play we do allow it.

My Kookaburra and kingfishers have all been played. Not sure about L I'll have to have a look later.

Well done Alex. A complex name this one. I first looked up Red-crowned Parrot in The Opus and found that was a Mexican species, so I looked up Kakariki there and that led to Red-fronted Parakeet, with the note that it was some times called Red-crowned Parrot LOL. So off I went to Avibase and Kakariki covers Yellow-fronted Parakeet as well as Red-fronted Parakeet but I think there's been a split which is why that's confused.

When I do the list on the first post I'll likely need to put Red-fronted Parakeet; if you've got a picture of the Yellow-fronted that would still be free.

In view of my research, do you want me to put Kakariki on that list as well... I keep thinking "yes", then "no", so I'll let you have your say on that before doing anything. ;)

Well done Alex. A complex name this one. I first looked up Red-crowned Parrot in The Opus and found that was a Mexican species, so I looked up Kakariki there and that led to Red-fronted Parakeet, with the note that it was some times called Red-crowned Parrot LOL. So off I went to Avibase and Kakariki covers Yellow-fronted Parakeet as well as Red-fronted Parakeet but I think there's been a split which is why that's confused.

When I do the list on the first post I'll likely need to put Red-fronted Parakeet; if you've got a picture of the Yellow-fronted that would still be free.

In view of my research, do you want me to put Kakariki on that list as well... I keep thinking "yes", then "no", so I'll let you have your say on that before doing anything. ;)
I think Kakariki is the Māori name which are being adopted and promoted more these days in NZ. Personally I think that leads to confusion with species that occur elsewhere but is fine for endemics such as Kakarikis, Kea, Kaka and of course Kiwi.

I think Kakariki is the Māori name which are being adopted and promoted more these days in NZ. Personally I think that leads to confusion with species that occur elsewhere but is fine for endemics such as Kakarikis, Kea, Kaka and of course Kiwi.
Yes.... agree with that bit. The problem comes with Kakariki, which was used prior to the split for both Red and Yellow-crowned Parakeets. Avibase - The World Bird Database

OK though, I'll put Kakariki on the front page, along with Red-crowned P but with a footnote, which will hopefully be spotted if you or anyone searching Kakariki will realise that Y-c is still available.

Hope that makes sense LOL

Hi Alex... you can be forgiven for not finding the Misletoebird! I was sure I'd played it and it was on the list on the first post, but could I find it mentioned anywhere else.

Loads of different search attempts failed to track it down, until I searched all my posts in this thread and found it here: ABC Birds

I don't know what happens with the thread searches sometimes, they just don't always work properly.

Leave it on as it's a female. But maybe a good idea to do a CTRL+F (Windows) search on page 1 (if you can), which seems to be more reliable.

Not sure about the name, perhaps they eat mistletoes, there's plenty of them in Australia LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back