• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipiter HK (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Photographed 6 November 2021

Is there enough in this photo to 100% confirm Eurasian Sparrowhawk?

Grateful for reasons why.

By the way, its left wing (left-hand side from its perspective, on the right on the photo) has six fingers, though blurry.

I will post a separate question on the raptor part of the forum, using the same photo. It asks which species of accipiter around the world are most similar to Eurasian Sparrowhawk and whether or not this photo alone can rule them out. You can also answer this here if you want.

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSCN9939check.JPG
    DSCN9939check.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
HK, Hong Kong?

I've spent quite a while editing the image in various ways in an attempt to assess whether the sixth primary on the birds left wing is visible primary or not and agree that it is. After looking at both wings and comparing hands and finger placements I came to the same conclusion as you that two fingers are blurred rather than one. I think this is image is identifiable as a eurasian sparrowhawk.

The Chinese sparrowhawk is certainly not an option and I believe the sixth primary also rules out the Japanese sparrowhawk- the structure of the bird also seems better for a Eurasian sparrowhawk, a long tail in contrast to the Japanese Sparrowhawks short tail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back