• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which species worldwide are similar to Eurasian Sparrowhawk? (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Can you name those species that are the most similar, morphology+plumage, to Eurasian Sparrowhawk?

(doesn't matter if it's Africa or Australia or some tropical island, as long as it is similar)

And, for example, does the attached photo alone rule out those similar species, even without regard to where the photo was taken?

Its left wing (left-hand side from its point of view, though on the right on the photo) does have six fingers, shown blurrily.

(I asked a slightly different question on the Bird ID sub-forum, based on the same picture.)

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSCN9939check.JPG
    DSCN9939check.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 15
Shikra in South Asia

Levant Sparrowhawk in Eastern Europe and the Middle East

They are not totally similar but can be mistaken

Female Sparrowhawk and male Goshawk are quite similar, at least on some pictures...

I think there are around 50 species of sparrowhawks and goshawks around the world - of course they don't all look the same.

Wikipedia has 21 species with "sparrowhawk" in the name, and lists 50 species in genus Accipeter. (IOC gives similar numbers.) Most of those have very similar profiles. I initially wrote that about a third of those species have such obvious color differences that we can exclude them from a glance at the photo, but then I remembered that many of these species have differing plumage between juvenile and adult and/or between male and female. And... your photo is just blurry enough to give me rather low confidence in the plumage we see. If it's a eurasian sparrowhawk, then it must have some markings on the breast (brownish/reddish for male, dark for female), but we can't actually see any markings. (The breast is sort of grey, consistent with some blurred markings - e.g. the thin dark-over-white transverse markings of a female sparrowhawk - but we can't actually see the markings, for instance to determine if they are streaks or bars. A juvenile cooper's hawk in the same light, with same blurriness, would have about the same appearance.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back