• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipiter in Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I photographed this accipiter two days ago at around 2,400m/8,000ft above sea level in the Fann Mountains of Tajikistan. There were lots of Eurasian Sparrowhawks around, so originally I marked it down as another one. But looking at the photos, its hips look pretty wide, its back looks possibly a bit mottled, and I've started wondering if it might be a Northern Goshawk. Whichever it is, I'd love any pointers on how to more reliably distinguish the two in the field. I have read the opus, but for instance, on this bird I'm not sure if its tail counts as rounded or not. Habitat was good for both accipiters.

Attachments

• DSCN1806.JPG
    DSCN1806.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1808.JPG
    DSCN1808.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN1810.JPG
    DSCN1810.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1813.JPG
    DSCN1813.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 69
I photographed this accipiter two days ago at around 2,400m/8,000ft above sea level in the Fann Mountains of Tajikistan. There were lots of Eurasian Sparrowhawks around, so originally I marked it down as another one. But looking at the photos, its hips look pretty wide, its back looks possibly a bit mottled, and I've started wondering if it might be a Northern Goshawk. Whichever it is, I'd love any pointers on how to more reliably distinguish the two in the field. I have read the opus, but for instance, on this bird I'm not sure if its tail counts as rounded or not. Habitat was good for both accipiters.
Hi. Out of the two you have mentioned, it looks more like a Sparrow hawk to me, slightly shorter neck and head than a Gos, slimmer hip, and a sharp end to the tail feathers.........Can't be sure though.

it is not a Goshawk as inner secondaries are barred and bars touching the body.
It still looks somehow strange for a Sparrowhawk: reduced barring on breast and broad white tip on tail.
Shikra may be a good candidate but I have no experience in Asian Shikra and I do not know if absence of visible gular stripe exclude it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back