• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipter ID help please, Hainan China (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I'm slowly getting better at these Accipter identifications. The quality of both my memory and my camera make it much more difficult :smoke:.

I'm thinking this is Crested Goshawk. It's a bulky bird with powerful feet which seems to support this identification. I kind of feel like I'm just "parroting" descriptions I've previously heard but forcing myself to put observations to word is going to be helpful in climbing the learning curve. Please let me know if my comments are reaching, incorrect or incomplete.

My second guess would be Besra which would have similar markings on the chest, belly and throat but would be slightly less bulky and powerful looking?

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Attachments

• unknown accipter 1.jpg
    unknown accipter 1.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 55
  • unknown accipter 3.jpg
    unknown accipter 3.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 43
  • unknown accipter 6.jpg
    unknown accipter 6.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 37
I think you are correct in Crested Goshawk - the thick gular mark rules out the smaller Sparrowhawks as does the broad-chested shape and a Besra would have thinner/long tarsis (which would not be feathered as these seem to be.) and a longer tail. The feet are large as you say and the chest markings look good for a sub-adult CG. However, I would seek more confirmation than just my opinion..

I think you are correct in Crested Goshawk - the thick gular mark rules out the smaller Sparrowhawks as does the broad-chested shape and a Besra would have thinner/long tarsis (which would not be feathered as these seem to be.) and a longer tail. The feet are large as you say and the chest markings look good for a sub-adult CG. However, I would seek more confirmation than just my opinion..

Excellent! This is very helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time.

Brian

I agree with all of this.
Besra and Crested Gos are pretty similar in plumage but the structural features should help separate, especially the short, thick legs of Crested.

I agree with all of this.
Besra and Crested Gos are pretty similar in plumage but the structural features should help separate, especially the short, thick legs of Crested.

Thanks for the confirmation, John. I'm really excited to finally be able to add this species to the life list. I'm even more excited to be feeling more confident in differentiate between the two in the field.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back