• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalus familiaris kingi (1 Viewer)

rollie_nl

Roland from Holland
While researching some scientific names of Hawaiian bird species, I came across the Nihoa Millerbird (Acrocephalus familiaris kingi). The key notes that it is dedicated to Capt. James King (1750-1784), explorer in the Pacific with Capt. Cook 1776-1779 (The Key to Scientific Names - Birds of the World). However, when reading the OD (here) it can be seen that the name actually commemorates Lieutenant-Commander Samuel Wilder King (1896-1959) who later became an important figure in American politics (see eg Samuel Wilder King - Wikipedia). Note however that the wiki-page mentions 1886 as birth year. I still have to sort out which year (1886 versus 1896) is correct.

Makes me wonder ... why (on Earth) would the Key claim a warbler discovered in 1923 (and described the year after) for an Explorer/Mariner who'd been dead for more than a Century (since 1784)?!

One would like to think that there was a reason. :unsure:

Either way, the origin, of the Key's claim, isn't the (often erroneous) Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014), as we've seen in quite a few cases (when dealing with subspecies). That particular book has the dedicatee as: "Lieutenant-Commander Samuel Wilder King (1886–1959) ..." (here).

Odd case

However, well spotted, Roland! (y)

/B

Last edited:
Message received and The Key definition updated. Feel free to contribute more of your findings; many of the eponyms in The Key originate from my Dictionary (published over thirty years ago), and it is only thanks to the aficionados on the Etymology sub-forum that make The Key, ever flexible, so current.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back