• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalus mendanae dido (Murphy & Mathews, 1928) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Acrocephalus mendanae dido (Murphy & Mathews, 1928) OD here

I think his is clarified (or at least I have no other explanaition) and I just mention it because of The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claim:

Southern Marquesan Reed Warbler ssp. Acrocephalus mendanae dido R. C. Murphy & Mathrews, 1928
In Virgil's Aeneid Dido was the founder and queen of Carthage. The description gives no reasoning for this name choice.

I would be surprised if Mathrews gava any explanation.. For sure the name is not for her as not born at date of description ;) even if she would fit to a singing bird.

Last edited:
I had thought that this must be named after the HMS Dido (1836) or (1869) both of which spent many years in the Pacific.

However, I think the Story of Virgils Dido actual fits the hypothesis Murphy and Mathews are proposing regarding ssp dido and it's colonization of this tiny island:

Dido and her followers arrived on the coast of North Africa where Dido asked the Berber King Larbas for a small bit of land for a temporary refuge until she could continue her journeying, only as much land as could be encompassed by an oxhide. They agreed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back