• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalus Warbler ID, China (2 Viewers)

xuky.summer

My friend took two strange Warbler in Shandong province today.
1 2 same bird, a Oriental Reed Warbler? the lateral crown and supercilium are very like Manchurian Reed Warbler,may be a juv?
3-5 same bird, a Blunt-winged Warbler with very long supercilium?

Thank you very much!

xuky

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi Grahame
Thank you, two questions,;)
The bill of first bird seems to thick for a Black-bowed, another image.
The breeding grounds of Manchurian is vary far from my location

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 42
xuky,
I am thinking that 1 & 2 are a worn Black-bowed Reed Warbler. Like this one in Japan, also in June.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=42&Bird_ID=1793&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&Location=

And the second bird 3-5 is a worn Manchurian Reed Warbler. BWW has a yellow gape, your bird is rather bright orange.

The second I think is actually a Blunt-winged, structure and general colouration. I suspect the rather harsh light is affecting the true colour/saturation Grahame, often the case in Eastern China's regular haze - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=11&Bird_ID=1786&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&Location=

Last edited:
Can't help thinking the first looks like a rather small billed Oriental Reed. Thick pinkish toned bill and rather heavy blue grey legs.

Re the second bird , clearly either Blunt-winged or Manchurian. I realise it is well out of (breeding) range but presumably not impossible. My problem is the colour of the gape which is quite clearly pinkish-orange, in BWW it is bright yellow.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=10&Bird_ID=1786&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&Location=

Certainly not impossible Grahame, many of the distribution maps for a number of species need re-doing, not enough breeding bird records due to a lack of observers. I do think the light is a factor here though. Corrected my initial link, internet playing up for some reason but that Hebei bird could look rather orange at certain angles.

My friend went to the same place today, not sure if it was the same as the previous one.
long pp, may be a Oriental Reed Warbler with pale legs and slim bill?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back