• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adult 'omissus' type argentatus? (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

This bird seen in Stockholm today. I have it down as an adult Herring Gull of argentatus race, a yellow legged individual with a particularily well marked dark band on P5. If I am reading the moult correctly, P6 is growing out, P7 has been dropped and P8-10 are older primaries. Coverts on upperwings mostly dropped on this bird, which is also in heavy moult around the head. Striking red orbital ring in the field.
Comments welcome. Would not be happy to overlook a Yellow-legged Gull,after much recent work visiting this site and checking the gulls carefully.

Attachments

• g1 (800x532).jpg
    g1 (800x532).jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 36
  • g2 (800x472).jpg
    g2 (800x472).jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 41
  • gull 4 (2) (800x585).jpg
    gull 4 (2) (800x585).jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Having done some research, I am now pretty happy my initial assessment was correct. I believe this is indeed a yellow legged Argentatus type Herring Gull, probably a northern bird.
The large bill, coral red orbital ring and rather short winged, heavy impression all support this. I believe with fresher remiges this bird would show a large white tip on P10, with no sub terminal black bar. P9 would show a white primary tip with a black sub terminal bar dividing the tip, the remains of which can just be made out on this birds worn P9. A Yellow legged Gull would, I believe, show more black on P9 than this bird shows. The next major point of interest is the well defined, sharply demarciated black sub terminal mark on the new P5. This is documented in occurring in Argentatus, particularly in yellow legged type. In addition I feel the birds general tone on the upperparts to be a little light for Yellow legged Gull.
A rather interesting bird, with P5 in particular leading me to question my initial identification. To date this is the most complete subterminal band I have seen in Argentatus.
Any further comments welcome...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back