• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Habicht please. (2 Viewers)

I don't bird. But given the above comments, I don't imagine the habicht to be an ideal instrument in the field for birdwatching. Unless it's birding at a distance or something or with slow moving birds.
what? I missed this part. We gotta fix that! :) You're missing out. So if you're just doing astronomy the 10x40 Habicht and their focuser should be perfect. Birds are fun though. I like just looking around my house at the local ones. Every once in a while something rare or interesting shows up. Last summer I had a couple sightings of a bald eagle flying right over my back porch.

An Easier Focus Habicht?

. . .
Shhh , don’t tell anybody but I just got my 7x42 back from Swaro, went in first week of May, they had to go to Austria because US doesn’t service specific things on Habicht’s. Had the focuser lightened up considerably, now much more intuitive and much nicer to track birds on the wing and fast moving objects. And still 100% water proof.

Paul

As I've previously commented:
In terms of the feel of the focuser, the non-airtight version of the Habicht (from 1948 to 1984) has a feel similar to that of many other external focus binoculars
e.g. as with my 1962 model

The 1984 airtight (and nitrogen filled) upgrade to the Habicht is immediately recognisable by the addition of the screws on the front bridge arms that cover the valve ports
It was made airtight by the expedient of fitting a rubber seal for each eyepiece assembly to move through when focusing
. . .

Clay Taylor of SONA states that there are ‘ . . . double-waterproofing seals on the bridge.’ see post #12 at: Swarovski Habicht Binoculars 8x30w
While this is somewhat unclear, from the closeup of the attached image there appears to be 1 seal per eyepiece assembly
i.e. the ring that’s recessed into the end of the tube into which the eyepiece assembly fits

Interestingly, my rubber armoured 8x30W from late 1999 has a much lighter focus action then my three more recent models from 2013 to 2017
It’s action is akin to that of my Nikon 8x30 EII - so perfectly acceptable for uses such as birding

And of further interest, Tobias Mennle notes in the review of his 2009 production 8x30W that ’I was not happy with the focusing,
but the Swarovski service fixed it perfectly and it is now a real joy to use. A bit more friction than the SE, especially on cold days.’
see around half way down the page under ‘Cons/ Stiff focus’ at: greatestbinoculars: Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W binoculars review

So it seems there is a way for the factory to adjust the degree of focuser effort (though perhaps with some compromise as to the degree of airtightness?)
. . .

The easier focus action may be achievable by using a rubber seal with a very slightly increased inside diameter?
(e.g. at the assembly stage, to allow for variation in the tolerance stacking in units, there may be a range of ring sizes to chose from):
Habicht 10x40W M GA .jpg

And in relation to the possible consequences for the degree of waterproofing:
. . .
When the new body was introduced in 1984, it was specified as water resistant to 0.3 bar (4.4 psi), which corresponds to a depth of 3 m
Currently, Habichts are specified to 0.4 bar (5.8 psi) - the same specification as for Swarovski’s other waterproof products

As near as I can tell (by using Wayback to recall pages from earlier versions of the Swarovski website, see: Internet Archive: Wayback Machine ),
until at least 2000 the original 0.3 bar specification was used, and by 2003 the new 0.4 bar specification was in use

It’s likely that significantly stronger seals would have been required to increase the pressure resistance by 1/3
If so, this raises the possibility that Swarovski could go back to the former specification and offer an ‘Easy Focus’ version
Since one of the common criticisms of the current Habichts is the effort required to adjust the focuser, this would seem an simple way to increase their popularity
. . .

John

what? I missed this part. We gotta fix that! :) You're missing out. So if you're just doing astronomy the 10x40 Habicht and their focuser should be perfect. Birds are fun though. I like just looking around my house at the local ones. Every once in a while something rare or interesting shows up. Last summer I had a couple sightings of a bald eagle flying right over my back porch.
That sounds like a wonderful experience. I'm glad you got to see that. There's actually a hawk or a falcon I've seen occasionally in my neighborhood -- so opportunities abound. I tend to use the binos for general day purpose plus astronomy as you say. I like watching the edges of clouds in the distance. Laying down at night and seeing the stars. Resolving skyscrapers in the distance is okay too.

I find when I'm out and about I don't want to carry anything. The few times I have I really enjoyed "flowering," if you will. Zooming in on flowers or insects on flowers with close focus binos. I tried looking at a bird once in the park through some and got scared. :eek: :eek: Thought it might jump up out of the view and eat me. o_O

Anyone who has an Habicht 10x40, can you say it is as bright as an alpha 10x42, say EL, SF, etc?
2mm less diameter, but ca. 4/5% more transmission. Does that even more or less?

I would go for the 40 mm Habicht because of the higher transmission and because of the shape of the transmission curve of the Habicht: almost flat over the measured spectrum, but give it a try. You will even be better served with the Habicht 7x42.
Gijs van Ginkel

Anyone who has an Habicht 10x40, can you say it is as bright as an alpha 10x42, say EL, SF, etc?
If you're interested in knowing how much more light reaches the retina from a 10x42 compared to a 10x40 with identical light transmission the answer is about 10%, but only when light from the full area of the objective lens is allowed to enter the eye when the eye's pupil is open to more than 4.2 mm. So, if the light transmission of a 10x42 is 5% lower than a 10x40 it will still supply 5% more light to the retina provided the eye's pupil is open to more than 4.2 mm.

However, as Gijs said, in the real world of binoculars with differing transmission curves and eyes with differing sensitivity curves at different light levels you really need to do your own comparison.

Last edited:
Keep in mind a Porro will have highly increased stereo separation at close ranges. I found that effect disturbing on a pair of Nikon EII and ended up returning them. Make sure you are happy with the view before committing to them.

Have you made up your mind yet? Still wanting an Habicht? 7x42 or 10x40? Rubber or leather?
Not yet.
I love the 8x30, but know there are glare issues, and I already own Steiner 8x30 porros.
The 7x42 is exceptional, but narrow, and I don't know if it's too narrow, or I can accept it.
The 10x40 is good, but lacking in its' view when directly compared to the 7x42, but the fov is better, less tunnel like.
I just don't know yet.
I have been reading up on the Fuji 7x or 10x50.... b ut i'm not a huge fan of I.F.
We will see......

Not yet.
I love the 8x30, but know there are glare issues, and I already own Steiner 8x30 porros.
Some say it’s redundant, all depends on your point of view. Each binocular has its own personality. Glare is overblown, doesn’t effect the majority of users on this model, try for yourself.
The 7x42 is exceptional, but narrow, and I don't know if it's too narrow, or I can accept it.
7x42 definitely exceptional and definitely a narrow FOV , I wouldn’t choose it as my only binocular. very unique binoculars. Try for yourself.
The 10x40 is good, but lacking in its' view when directly compared to the 7x42, but the fov is better, less tunnel like.
Not sure what you mean lacking compared to the 7x42, only in perceived brightness. But then that’s what I think is one of the 7’s best traits.
I just don't know yet.
I have been reading up on the Fuji 7x or 10x50.... b ut i'm not a huge fan of I.F.
We will see......
Not on the same level as a Habicht. I.F. Mostly for nighttime and astronomy.

Paul

Not yet.
I just don't know yet.
We will see......
If you want a good 7x42 for low light, try the Pentax ED 7x42 at $380. It has a way larger 7.5 degrees FOV than the narrow tunnel like 6.5 degrees FOV of the Habicht 7x42, it is very glare resistant, and it is just as light also. I have the Pentax ED 7x32 and it is excellent. Also, the Pentax is sharp to the edge, whereas, the Habicht softens considerably. The Pentax won't have quite the high transmission of the Habicht, but you don't need vise grips to turn the focuser either, and it will be bright enough for most uses. Forget the Fujinon for birding. IF focusing is a a pain for birding and is mostly for astronomy.

Last edited:
If you want a good 7x42 for low light, try the Pentax ED 7x42 at $380. It has a way larger 7.5 degrees FOV than the narrow tunnel like 6.5 degrees FOV of the Habicht 7x42, it is very glare resistant, and it is just as light also. I have the Pentax ED 7x32 and it is excellent. Also, the Pentax is sharp to the edge, whereas, the Habicht softens considerably. The Pentax won't have quite the high transmission of the Habicht, but you don't need vise grips to turn the focuser either, and it will be bright enough for most uses. Forget the Fujinon for birding. IF focusing is a a pain for birding and is mostly for astronomy.
Dennis, you’re comparing the Swarovski Habicht’s , probably one of the best binoculars in the world and most likely the best Porro on the market , to a $300 Chinese optic. This leads me to believe only one thing, how much do you want for the Pentax? I’ll offer $200, shipped.

Dennis, you’re comparing the Swarovski Habicht’s , probably one of the best binoculars in the world and most likely the best Porro on the market , to a $300 Chinese optic.
The Habicht and the Pentax are worlds apart. Period.
This leads me to believe only one thing, how much do you want for the Pentax? I’ll offer $200, shipped.
Nice one. And don't forget: In a few weeks time you'll be able to pick up a couple of slightly used Sig Sauer stabilized binoculars. I for one would love to see a good and critical review of these.

Hermann

Dennis, you’re comparing the Swarovski Habicht’s , probably one of the best binoculars in the world and most likely the best Porro on the market , to a $300 Chinese optic. This leads me to believe only one thing, how much do you want for the Pentax? I’ll offer $200, shipped.
We both know the Swift Audubon 804 8.5x44 is the best porro on the market. I would never go back to a tunnel vision Habicht after having the 70 degree AFOV Swift with its incredible easy step in view and amazing stereopsis. The only good thing about the Habicht 7x42 is the high transmission. Other than that, it is like looking down a straw, and you need a vise grip to turn the focuser. You should try a Pentax ED 7x42. I think you would have your Habicht 7x42 in the classifieds tomorrow.

The Habicht and the Pentax are worlds apart. Period.

Nice one. And don't forget: In a few weeks time you'll be able to pick up a couple of slightly used Sig Sauer stabilized binoculars. I for one would love to see a good and critical review of these.

Hermann
"The Habicht and the Pentax are worlds apart. Period." I agree, they are worlds apart.

True. The Pentax has a 7.5 degree FOV and the Habicht 7x42 has a 6.5 degree FOV. The Habicht is like looking down a straw, and the Pentax FOV is much wider and more immersive. The Habicht focuser is so tight you need a vise grip to turn it, but on the other hand the Pentax is silky smooth and just the right tension.

Which one would work better for fast moving birds where you have to focus a lot? Hmmm? I think the Pentax. The Habicht 7x42 has soft edges that fall off quickly, reducing the already tiny FOV even more. The Pentax is tack sharp to the edge of its much bigger FOV. The Pentax with its ED glass has no CA in the center or on the edge, whereas, the Habicht 7x42 has CA on the edge.

The Pentax is just as sharp on-axis as the Habicht maybe sharper. The Pentax is just as light as the Habicht, but more compact. The Habicht 7x42 has lousy uncomfortable eye cups that are way too small for your eye sockets so to avoid black-outs you have to float it in front of your face but the Pentax has modern adjustable eye cups that are just the right diameter that are wonderfully soft and comfortable and as a result there are no blackouts.

The Pentax may be made in China, but it is very high quality and I can find nothing wrong with it. With all the Swarovskis with the biodegradable armor falling off, being made in Austria does not assure you of a quality product. In fact, I would wager that the armor on the Pentax would last much longer, and the funny part about it is you are paying 1/10 the price. :ROFLMAO:

MADE IN AUSTRIA (WE ARE WORLDS APART!)

20230702_091945.jpg

Last edited:
We both know the Swift Audubon 804 8.5x44 is the best porro on the market. I would never go back to a tunnel vision Habicht after having the 70 degree AFOV Swift with its incredible easy step in view and amazing stereopsis. The only good thing about the Habicht 7x42 is the high transmission. Other than that, it is like looking down a straw, and you need a vise grip to turn the focuser. You should try a Pentax ED 7x42. I think you would have your Habicht 7x42 in the classifieds tomorrow.
Again no, your stacking up a lot of no’s. Swift Audubons, especially the ones you have are not even close to the best Porro , and Audubons are not on the market anymore, you should read through what people write before you respond because, you get very confusing sometimes. We weren’t talking about field of view, we were talking about optical in build quality, keep up Dennis. Btw, you haven’t even tried the better Audubons , and if you really want to see what a true wide field binocular is like, you need to try the Swift Holiday/Panoramics or a FPO Rangmaster.

The focuser on Habicht’s can be lightened like mine that just came back from Swaro, smooth and buttery now, one Binocular that will be with me a long time. And I’ve tried the Pentax clone in the Hawke , nice for cheap Chinese stuff, but kind of on the dark side. I’m in sales , so I know your verbiage indicates you are selling or will be very soon, $200 now or it will be a lower offer later (I don’t buy anything new MIC).

🙏🏼✌🏼

Last edited:
"The Habicht and the Pentax are worlds apart. Period." I agree, they are worlds apart.

True. The Pentax has a 7.5 degree FOV and the Habicht 7x42 has a 6.5 degree FOV. The Habicht is like looking down a straw, and the Pentax FOV is much wider and more immersive. The Habicht focuser is so tight you need a vise grip to turn it, but on the other hand the Pentax is silky smooth and just the right tension.
Ok now it’s official your selling a Pentax 7x32 🤪.
Which one would work better for fast moving birds where you have to focus a lot? Hmmm? I think the Pentax. The Habicht 7x42 has soft edges that fall off quickly, reducing the already tiny FOV even more. The Pentax is tack sharp to the edge of its much bigger FOV. The Pentax with its ED glass has no CA in the center or on the edge, whereas, the Habicht 7x42 has CA on the edge.

The Pentax is just as sharp on-axis as the Habicht maybe sharper. The Pentax is just as light as the Habicht, but more compact. The Habicht 7x42 has lousy uncomfortable eye cups that are way too small for your eye sockets so to avoid black-outs you have to float it in front of your face but the Pentax has modern adjustable eye cups that are just the right diameter that are wonderfully soft and comfortable and as a result there are no blackouts.
Subjective, his opinion only your honor, sustained.
The Pentax may be made in China, but it is very high quality and I can find nothing wrong with it. With all the Swarovskis with the biodegradable armor falling off, being made in Austria does not assure you of a quality product. In fact, I would wager that the armor on the Pentax would last much longer, and the funny part about it is you are paying 1/10 the price. :ROFLMAO:

Yes you’ve found lots wrong with it, your just not telling us because your selling them

MADE IN AUSTRIA (WE ARE WORLDS APART!)

View attachment 1520524

Had both EL and Habicht, sold the EL and kept the Habicht.
7x and 10x Habichts are same mass, same field (114m for 7x and 108m for 10x), and if you have to choose 10x is more magnification when 7x is less shake and more purity in low light condition. The 10x is more an all-around use whereas the 7x is more of a specialized instrument.
In any case you cannot fault the build quality of these - definitely not in the same league than the afore mentioned pentax item.
My advice : get both the 7x and 10x and learn to use and like them, then you don't have to buy yet another $300 roof each year in an effort to improve your viewing experience.

Regards,
zp*

7x and 10x Habichts are same mass, same field (114m for 7x and 108m for 10x), and if you have to choose 10x is more magnification when 7x is less shake and more purity in low light condition. The 10x is more an all-around use whereas the 7x is more of a specialized instrument.
In any case you cannot fault the build quality of these - definitely not in the same league than the afore mentioned pentax item.
He knows that, he’s just building them up for a quick sale to the uninformed. 😜
My advice : get both the 7x and 10x and learn to use and like them, then you don't have to buy yet another $300 roof each year in an effort to improve your viewing experience.

Regards,
zp*

Regards,
zp*
I must admit that I was a tad concerned at the tunnel vision quoted by so many before I ordered my 7x42's but the minute I unpacked them and looked through them all doubts evaporated. They are simply stunning.

As for the Papilio, I like them and irrespective of their modest cost, they are exceptionally good. But to compare them against a Habicht is, as the late Cornelious Ryan mused, "A Bridge Too Far".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back