• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on minor fixes? (1 Viewer)

winginit

Two quick questions --
I have a pair of Athlon 8x32 binoculars that I keep in my jacket pocket when I'm out shooting photos. Unfortunately, the objective lens covers fall off constantly. So I'm wondering if there's a good way to attach them that won't damage the rubber armor? Or is there an aftermarket source for better fitting replacement caps?

I'm also looking to repair a small tear in the rubber armor on an older pair of Bushnell Legends. Is there some kind of glue that's safe to use?
Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Foss, I spoke with Athlon, they didn't offer replacement covers. They suggested using a very small drop of super glue on the armor under the lens cover loop. If others here have used super glue on rubber armor it would be great to get opinions about that, pros and cons, etc. Also, still interested in finding an aftermarket source for replacement lens covers if people have suggestions.

Wingit,

Measure the ID of your objectives, then take a look at Vortex, I have used their objectives on glass from Swarovski, Nikon etc. They have many sizes. Also look at objective covers from Opticron. Funny, it is the first time a manufacturer of glass made that suggestion about using glue on their product or was that Bushnell?. I would use contact cement or rubber cement, personally I would not use super glue. Gorilla glue is another option, depending on where the tear is located, you get one shot though.

Andy W.

Andy, two reps at Athlon said to use super glue. But I'm just using a fabric pouch for now. Btw, on the Bushnells the tear is at the end of one barrel, near the objective lens. Gorilla glue makes lots of products, did you have a specific one in mind?

Athlon, I wonder if they are going the route of Zenray.

I would look for a contact cement, which will bind metal/plastic/vinyl rubber. Thinking about gorilla glue, I should take that one back. I would not use it. There is plenty of info online regarding contact cement, 3M for one makes the product.

dries1, thanks for your feedback. I've wondered about Athlon, too, since many models have been discontinued. Adorama and CameraLand have slashed prices on some models in the last year or so, and B&H no longer carries them.

couple thoughts on using any bonding agents- try before you commit to a course of action. There are cyanoacrylates that are made specifically for bonding of rubber. here's an example of a website specifically related to bonding questions-
I'd likely go with a smallest container of contact cement I could buy because the stuff typically goes solid in the can if left on it's own. I do wonder if contact cement when used on small parts doesn't tend to embrittle after drying out (likely years later BTW)
Gorilla glue - a super glue states that it works on rubber but that doesn't mean that it's meant specifically for rubber and there are different forms of rubber that might mean different bonding agents. You might end up using several before you hit on one that works
here's one more site for further muddying of the waters with bonding rubber!

Best of luck, Pat

Thought I'd share the advice I got from Bushnell. Their rep recommended using original formula Gorilla glue or rubber cement on their rubber armor. Also suggested covering the lenses because the glue vapor can potentially compromise the lens coating.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back