• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice wanted on kyocera SL400R camera (2 Viewers)

boingbirder

Hi Everyone,
If anyone could help me answer a few questions in relation to the Kyocera SL400R i would be very grateful.
I am new to digiscoping and have started with this camera (off Ebay). I seem to get reasonable results
However, the camera now appears to be on the blink( literally!). The picture on the monitor flashes on and off, while making a clicking sound. Then within seconds the battery sign indicates 'low battery' and the the system shuts down..This does not happen in playback mode.
So, is the camera completely kaput? Or is it fixible? And if so, by whom?
If not fixible I am tempted to replace it with another SL400R ( cost is a factor). But this time I would want to add an external battery pack. Does anyone still supply them?
Last question! Is the old Nikon Coolpix the only other internal zoom camera around?

Cheers!

Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the camera. I have the Contax sl300, essentially the same camera, which had exactly the same issues. The batteries were notoriously bad and only lasted half an hour or so, depending on how the camera was used. And this was when the battery was new, as it gets on a bit, the battery life gets worse. I use an external battery pack bodged together with stuff from Maplins, i never charge the original although it has to stay in the camera. I get over 250 pics out of it which is more than enough for me and it lasts a full days use.

Stick with it, they're great cameras and i get some excellent results with it.

I'd concur with Graeme.

My brother in law can make you a battery pack but he is away for a couple of weeks.

If you haven't got sorted by the end of the month PM me.

Kyocera SL400R problem

Hi Folks,
Thanks to Graeme for the reassurance on the Kyocera. I am so relieved that the problem is not major. I really like this camera, despite some of its deficiencies.
And thanks too to Rob, I will undoubtedly be in touch with regard to the battery pack suggestion.
Cheers

Kyocera SL400R problem

Hi,

Last year I bought an SL400R from a fellow BF member and everything was working fine until very recently. The camera hadn't been used for a couple of months and when I tried it last week the screen is blank (or should that be black !) in shooting mode and it doesn't take pictures. I have a battery pack with 4 recharged batteries, the menu screen works fine, I could review previous photos, the other general controls seem OK, I've checked and re-formatted everything, tried it with the mains connector attached . . . . but there's still no change. Great little camera and I'd hate to lose it :-(
Does this mean the sensor is completely gone ?
Any advice gratefully received !!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back