• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aetos, Greece 11/02/2022 Bunting species? (1 Viewer)

I took this recording earlier in the morning. There were 3 or 4 singing individuals but this was the best quality recording I could get. I used the birdnet app and it reckons that I have Cirl Bunting but I just wanted to get some more opinions to be sure as I only briefly saw the singer and not clearly enough to make an ID

Attachments

• birdnet_mobile_8352627435_recording_431.wav
    338.6 KB
Hello,
yes its a Cirl Bunting. Most similar Serin has a more metallic, "keychain-produced-like" quality.
Similar Black Redstart has a slightly squeezed out quality at the beginning, that seems to be lacking here.

But these are very different birds and I am surely biased by you, who have sdeen the birds and I think you have reckonized a Black Redstart. They normaly sing exposed, many Cirl Buntings do not (and sing from slightly hidden posts)

Please note that one male Cirl Buntings can produce slightly different song types. With this, they can pretend, that there are several males in one territory. There was a note about this in BB many years ago. Surely others here can dig out the reference. Thanks!

Hello again,
I am confused. Hearing the recording on another device, it sounds slightly better for a Black Redstart.
I have heard so many of both species over the years, and they are easy to ID against each other in the field.

Which one device should I trust? I hope for others to jump in!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back