• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Raptor (2 Viewers)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Saw this Eagle a couple of days ago - am assuming it's a Short Toed Snake Eagle, due to time of year. Only doubt is that it seemed to have a whitish rump (the only reason for posting the second photo!). Don't know if this is expected - maybe a juvenile, or possibly something else.

Assistance appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1926(2).JPG
    IMG_1926(2).JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1932(2).JPG
    IMG_1932(2).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 107
Hello Ndsutcliffe,

I agree with you its a Short Toed Snake Eagle. Starring yellow eye can just be guessed (yes, whishful thinking at its best and creamy buffish and whitish hues are spot on for this species.

Surely not a juvenile with such worn flight feathers, a 2cy bird? I get a "patchwork impression" here, caused by different generation feathers???? I hope for more comments. Thanks!

Edit: after looking at the pictures again, can an extremly pitfall picture (warm evening light and more?) of an Osprey be excluded?
Although the underparts appear strikingly pure=cold white in Ospreys in the field, even over greater distances and in bad light.

Yes: another thread came into my mind. Thanks again Tom!

Hello Ndsutcliffe,

I agree with you its a Short Toed Snake Eagle. Starring yellow eye can just be guessed (yes, whishful thinking at its best and creamy buffish and whitish hues are spot on for this species.

Surely not a juvenile with such worn flight feathers, a 2cy bird? I get a "patchwork impression" here, caused by different generation feathers???? I hope for more comments. Thanks!
Bleached second cal year indeed with new inner primaries

I think you're just reading the photo wrong. My take on pic 2 is that the bird is flying right, viewed from below (head far right, tail far left, left wing-tip at bottom), and the bright white patch is the underbody.
Actually I think you're right - an optical delusion! Well spotted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back