• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazon Rainforest Peru Night Bird. (3 Viewers)

Daz001

United Kingdom
This will not be easy! Really testing people with these pictures.

So it was late evening, near the end of my trip. Put camera away and thought no more birds. In the middle of nowhere in Amazon Rainforest in Peru. Iquitos about 3-4 hours away by boat. Staying in a lodge, pitch black.

My guide spots eyes.. well one eye. We shine a torch onto it. I can clearly see something sitting on the ground in a wooded area. I can see it is blinking. It's so bizarre that my Brain cannot process what it is.

Hope its a bird! Key features.. night, on the ground, could see blinking, only ever saw one eye by the angle. That grey object, with the one eye white due to the light.

A potoo?

Attachments

• pot1a.jpg
    pot1a.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 57
  • pot2a.jpg
    pot2a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • pot3a.jpg
    pot3a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • pot4a.jpg
    pot4a.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 54
  • pot5a.jpg
    pot5a.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 57
Looking at 4a and 5a in succession shows there is definitely a moving creature with eyes. And gave the impression of being something in the nightjar family, even before reading the comments. That said, an owl of some sort is a possibility too

Thanks all!!! I'm going with the possibility of a Nightjar then. The guide, who was bird crazy said it was a bird, and only seeing one eye pretty much rules out an owl. Being on the ground I'd say rules out a Potoo. It was blinking slowly, don't know if Nightjars do that. I'll do more research. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back