• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Painted Lady in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Just seen an image and discussion on the UK butterflies Facebook group of an apparent American Painted Lady, photographed at Nare Head in Cornwall on 20th Sept.

Did it arrive as part of a release from a wedding or similar 'celebration' they, and other butterfly species are available to rear/buy in this country for such occasions.

Did it arrive as part of a release from a wedding or similar 'celebration' they, and other butterfly species are available to rear/buy in this country for such occasions.
It's location would be an ideal location for a genuine migrant. Though Painted Ladies, Vanessa cardui, are regularly raised & released as educational experiences & for various functions such as weddings, I've not heard of V. virginiensis, being used in the UK.

It's location would be an ideal location for a genuine migrant. Though Painted Ladies, Vanessa cardui, are regularly raised & released as educational experiences & for various functions such as weddings, I've not heard of V. virginiensis, being used in the UK.
A friend commented on the FB post and in an off line comment to me that American PLs have been bred and released in the past in the UK and he was highly sceptical of its origins

A friend commented on the FB post and in an off line comment to me that American PLs have been bred and released in the past in the UK and he was highly sceptical of its origins
It's a shame this is done. No way to be sure, though location is good, though doesn't eliminate the possibility of a release.

The trouble is any unusual butterfly is tainted with the release/escape tag. I know there's about 8 Queen of Spain Fritillaries at the moment in Kent, which many think is part of a natural breeding from an earlier arrival. They did appear to breed for about 3 years at Minsmere some time back. One person seems more sceptical. Also a Pale Clouded Yellow photographed in Kent yesterday or the day before.

Certainly Queen of Spain is widespread & common in many parts of Europe into central Asia.

September queen of Spain frits in Kent is the closest we have to expected location and time of sightings of the species isn’t it?

But I guess that would also make it the best candidate for a release and there clearly are lots of butterfly releases happening

I certainly assumed the Scarce Swallowtail I saw batting down the Basingstoke Canal a few years ago was a release. However I see no reason to Diss either Queen of Spain or e g Long-tailed Blue, both of which have demonstrated substantial increases in records, including multiples at single sites well away from wedding venues - which to my way of thinking implies influx rather than radiation from a point release.

John

I believe the Q of S are thought to be the offspring of migrants from earlier in the year. These and long-tailed blue are very likely to be of natural origin but many of butterfly records are sadly even more tainted by release issue than some birds.

I believe the Q of S are thought to be the offspring of migrants from earlier in the year. These and long-tailed blue are very likely to be of natural origin but many of butterfly records are sadly even more tainted by release issue than some birds.
Long-tailed Blue are a bit more complex than most other vagrant species. Undoubtedly many are genuine migrants or offspring of, especially those near the south coast, but a few also have arrived from imported legumes (it's alternative name is Pea Blue), so accidental importation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back