• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amsterdam area (1 Viewer)

a_j_steele

Next year was planning a visit is likely to be early autumn so I wonder if there any good areas in the city and beyond hoping to have a car for a couple of days but mainly on foot and public transport so if anyone can suggest some good spots I would be grateful.

I looked at Oostvaardersplass but there seems to be mixed point of views on it so maybe Lepelaarsplassen might be a better choice . I heard Alexandrine parakeet is possible but only avaiabale in certain parks.

Many thanks

I've been to Amsterdamse Bos a couple of times, I think both times in spring/ early summer. It's quite good and varied with woodland, lakes and marshes. Some nice birds I saw from a British point of view were Bluethroat, Short-toed Treecreeper and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. A good variety of species should be possible at any time. You could probably get to better places with a bit more time available though.

Next year was planning a visit is likely to be early autumn so I wonder if there any good areas in the city and beyond hoping to have a car for a couple of days but mainly on foot and public transport so if anyone can suggest some good spots I would be grateful.

I looked at Oostvaardersplass but there seems to be mixed point of views on it so maybe Lepelaarsplassen might be a better choice . I heard Alexandrine parakeet is possible but only avaiabale in certain parks.

Many thanks
There might be some information of interest in my blog post found here: Mid-Winter Bird Watching Highlights from Holland

If you scroll down to day 3 you will find the name of the place that is good for Alexandrine Parakeet just outside of Amsterdam.

The area around Amsterdam has too many potential birding spots to mention. Perhaps the best advice is to think what birds you want to see and go to Waarneming website:
I would check the site also during your stay for rarities, which often appear on a short notice.

I liked especially checking tide time, and driving along the coast east of Den Helder following the tide, watching roosts of thousands of waders, avocets etc. If you have a car, remember traffic jams during peak hours around cities.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back