• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amur Falcons and Rough-legged Buzzards in Japan (1 Viewer)

stoop

Japan
Hi! The above mentioned have been recorded as rare or accidental visitors in Japan but not here in Niigata, the eastern side of the Sea of Japan ..However, today I was walking towards a fairly famous wetland area when I saw a grey bird flying across a ricefield at eye-level towards me. At first I thought it was one of many cuckoos that seem to be out in force but I realised the wings appeared too long. Then I thought, Kestrel? -cuckoo? etc ..until I had a single thought of 'grey kestrel with narrow wings' just as it rose barely half a cricket pitch in front of me. I was pretty shocked to see that this seemingly bland grey kestrel-like bird suddenly looked as though someone was shining a bright orange spotlight on its feet. Not only the feet were highlighted but the feathers surrounding the legs. It lifted upwards over a busy road and disappeared over a residential area towards a school. I stood, motionless with my Nikon D300 safely packed in my backpack, and as I looked back at where it had first appeared, another, appearing more like a female kestrel with narrow wings followed the same course. (I usually don't get the camera out until I reach a tree-lined path that leads to a river and onto the wetlands- but I am still feeling a little haunted by the first bird). I continued to the wetlands and saw nothing else of interest (other than some Daurian Starlings).
-From late December 07 to February 08 I photographed three different Rough-legged Buzzards in Niigata city although they are not on record here. Something to do with the weather?
I have been trying to find out more about Amur Falcons and see that they migrate from Southern Africa to Siberia (the other side of the sea of Japan) from March.-There have possibly been some major disruptions, ie. China earthquake and typhoons. We are currently experiencing the 4th typhoon warning here of the season although the season doesn't start til July/August. I wonder whether the weather has been affecting migration routes? Hmmm.

Last edited:
Many Thanks, Ed!
Followed up the above link and have already received very useful information.
I maybe not so mad afterall.

I have been trying to find out more about Amur Falcons and see that they migrate from Southern Africa to Siberia

From Southern Africa to Siberia?! I'm not terribly knowledgable on raptor migratory patterns (other than wishing I knew more and they'd miss Malta!) but that's a phenomenal journey.

Am going to dig out my Sasol Birds of Prey of Africa (acquired during a very non-birding trip to RSA last year) when I get home and check out Amurs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back