• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An optimistic request for Centipede ID (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
I know I am being VERY optimistic, but does anyone have the knowledge to ID this wee beasty.
Found it while cleaning some garden soil. It has to be the longest centipede I have ever seen, by a very long stretch.
Sorry about the poor images, but it refused to stay still for a moment. Even after being asked, very politely, it ran around like a demented centipede

P1030628 (small).jpgP1030633 (small).jpgP1030636 (small).jpgP1030641 (small).jpg

TIA

Fof

Another look on the web and I have found a possible (?) candidate, size wise, at least.
Western Yellow Centipede (Stigmatogaster subterranea).
Any other suggestions?

As you say, size-wise it fits a Western Yellow and this species is found in garden soils and compost heaps but you will struggle to get a confirmation without using a microscope!

Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back