• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And finally from Florida... (1 Viewer)

Daddylion

The Daddy Lion
Just a few IDs and bad pics I'd like to clear up. Thanks!

1- In an open field with grackles, ibises and a gull or two. Another Grackle?
2- In a dry, heavily forested swamp. No idea.
3- Same place as 2, no idea as well.
4&5- These next two are I belive the same species. Beautiful hawks they were!

Attachments

• 100_0096.JPG
    100_0096.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_0112.JPG
    100_0112.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_0115.JPG
    100_0115.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_0266.jpg
    100_0266.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0267.jpg
    100_0267.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 88
6- Sora?
7- Almost positive this is a mockingbird, but just need confirmation.
8- Snowy Egret

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0287.JPG
    100_0287.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_0301.jpg
    100_0301.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 82
  • Snowy Egret.jpg
    Snowy Egret.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Yes to the mocker, snowy and frigatebird (and I agree with red-shoulder).

The first one looks like another grackle. I think the eye just looks dark rather than it actualy being dark. If it is really dark, it's a cowbird, probably brown-headed.

There's something about #2 that says white-eyed vireo to me, but I really can't say for sure.

Thanks Jeff. Sorry, I know numbers 2 & 3 are really bad.
Ok, about #6: It was about dove size, maybe even smaller. when it flew off, the wings had some red on them. I was thinking rail but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I agree #2 looks like a White-eyed Vireo.

#3 looks like a Hooded Warbler, with the white outer tail feathers, although I can't tell if the faint "hood" is really there or if I'm imagining it in the shadows.

Magnificent Frigatebird is easy to tell with that Pterodactyl like wing shape. agreed on the hawk and mocker. I thought yellow rumped for 2&3 as well.

I've got a little better pic of the "YRW", if this helps.

And can this dove thing be ID'd as well? Don't worry, we're getting close to the end.

Attachments

• 100_0107.JPG
    100_0107.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 82
I've got a little better pic of the "YRW", if this helps.

And can this dove thing be ID'd as well? Don't worry, we're getting close to the end.

The dove is a Common Ground-Dove.

If photos 2-3 are the same bird, I will stick with YR Warbler. But the new photo looks more like a White-eyed Vireo (even shows a white eye and yellow lores, if these are not photographic artifacts), as previously suggested. But WE Vireo does not have white in the tail and you do not often see them perched on open pine branches. When were the photos taken? YR Warblers are gone from Florida by 20 April or so.

Andy

The date is too late for YR Warbler. Looking further at the photos, the bill is too thin for any vireo, so I will now introduce the likely candidate: Pine Warbler.

Juvenile Pine Warblers can be difficult, often with some yellow blotches. The tail looks good (photo 3). The habitat is as expected. Fun to work with your photos.
Andy

Sweet Kratter, thanks! So if there are no further objectons, Pine Warbler it is.
Numbers 2 and 3 could be the same bird, but they were taken at different times, so it's unlikely.
All that's left to ID are numbers 3 and 6. (Sorry, the pics are :storm:... well you know)

I would go with White-eyed Vireo for photos #2 & #10 (i.e. the last photo posted at this point). (I think #3 is a different bird--the other photos don't show the tattered tail but this one shows). Photo #2 shows a white throat, which would be inconsistent with a Pine Warbler that had that much yellow on the breast. Both photos also show a dark underside to the tail, which would be consistent with White-eyed Vireo, and inconsistent with Pine Warbler.

As for #6, what the heck is that? Looks like the reproduction of a bird shot through a shower curtain or something? Is that actually a live bird?

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Oh, trust me, it's a live bird. It's just a really, really bad photo. It's got its back to us, and its head is looking right.

I think I got it ... #6 is another ground-dove. All the colors actually match up quite well, in a sort of artistic way! The orange beak, pinkish face, blue nape, brown-olive back, greener tail and rump, dark flecking and edges to wing feathers, white undertail. What a fun ID excersize!

http://www.stetson.edu/~pmay/grodo207.jpg

I assume the bird was on a railing that meanders away from the viewer, right? It took me a while to convince myself I was not looking at a bird in a plastic bag!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back