• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And One For Bill (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
I had one of my (many) time out sessions today. The temeratures had dropped by several degrees, but there was an autumnal sunshine and I found a Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly taking what heat was available. I later found one Red Admiral Butterfly which quickly disappeared into the trees.

I found my self a nice little spot behind the hedge out of sight of any passing human and canine species whilst I listened to and watched a flock of Long Tailed Tits foraging amongst the hedge and trees. My only company were numbers of trusting Rabbits. I decided to stay a while and from the high ground look over the Tyne valley, across to Gateshead. This little area gives great views on a clear day. I watched as Wood Pigeons, Carrion Crows and Magpies went about their business and constantly flew overhead. With my binoculars I found a flock of Lesser Black Backed Gulls on the grass verge near to the main road almost a mile away, and watched and listened as a flock of noisy Jackdaws landed and then lifted from the ploughed field as a near by Blackbird's alarm call rang out. One or two small passerines lifted from the hedge but I couldn't make them out , although they were likely to have been tits. As I walked away from this peacefull scene I heard a Wrens alarm call and the shortened and muted song of a Robin. A single Pheasant wandered the field and I heard the calls of Grey Partridge in the tall grasses. I took special notice of the fallen leaves at the end of the waggonway and went home with the words of Autumn Leaves on my mind. I was rewarded near to home with the overhead flight of two quietly calling Redwings. I thought to myself that this was far more peaceful than standing amongst a hoard of twitchers on the coast ticking off a Glossy Ibis. I've seen hundreds of them on my travels anyway!

Attachments

• IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi Brian,

Thank you. In return here's a Red Admiral that was on the Ivy a few days ago (before the weather changed).

Been watching for Winter Thrushes but nothing in this area yet (that I know of). Interesting that you can still find Grey Partridges in your area, haven't seen nor heard one for years; plenty of RLPs.

Bill

Attachments

• DS red admiral on ivy 011009 2.jpg
    DS red admiral on ivy 011009 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Bill. That makes up for the one I couldn't quite catch today.

EDIT. There's a couple of places on patch that I can still find Grey Partridges Bill. Sad day though that this bird is now so hard to find generally.

Cheers
Brian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back