• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any news from Donana recently? (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I'm off to Coto Donana in a couple of weeks. Anybody been recently? I keep checking the weather hoping it will break before we go, but the sun keeps shining and the temperatures seem quite hot still. How's the marsh looking, especially at el Rocio? Is it flooded? Are there many wildfowl or Cranes there yet?

I'm really starting to miss the regular updates on John Butlers site. Any tips about the current situation would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Donana

Hi Bobby,

Yep water at El Rocio, but not much elsewhere. You could try taking the junction off the Huelva motorway where you see the Hotel Andalusi Park on your left coming from Sevilla, follow signs through the village of Benacazon to Aznalcazar, go through roundabout complex following signs for Pilas, but take a left (small lane) shortly after this roundabout complex, not sure of signposting! The road takes you through excellent woodlands and ends as 'T' junction, turn right and along this road there are several small and large lagoons with water. A place where water is 'not' around is the visitors centre 'Jose A Valverde', but the road/track approaching this is always worthwhile i.e. Imperial Eagle and Cranes etc.

Hope the above is of some use.:t:

Thanks Peter,
I've been to Donana a few times before, including at this time of year, so I won't be chasing all of the specialities. It's just break and a chance to see the spectacle of the place which I'm looking for. I particularly love seeing the big flocks of cranes. Obviously I'd love to see the Imperial Eagles again also, since it's a few years since I saw my last.

Last year we went in December, and there had been torrential rain just before we went, and if anything the place was too flooded. One of the sights I was hoping to see this year is the rice paddy harvest on Isla Mayor. I had heard that there were less rice paddies this year due to drought, but presumably those which are there must be flooded?

I just hope rain comes before we go, but not while we are there!

Thanks again

Also interested in Donana water levels as I'm flying to Malaga on Saturday, staying in Jimena.

Not heading as far round as El Rocio - more interested in how its looking at Brazo Del Este or the Trebujena/Bonanza area which I'll be visiting for the day.

Also Laguna de Taraje / Laguna de Medina which I'll be dropping into on the way to and from other places in search of, among other things, White-headed Duck.

Any info greatly received.

Cheers

Alan

Also interested in Donana water levels as I'm flying to Malaga on Saturday, staying in Jimena.

Not heading as far round as El Rocio - more interested in how its looking at Brazo Del Este or the Trebujena/Bonanza area which I'll be visiting for the day.

Also Laguna de Taraje / Laguna de Medina which I'll be dropping into on the way to and from other places in search of, among other things, White-headed Duck.

Any info greatly received.

Cheers

Alan

If you want white-headed duck all you need to do is drop into the Guadalhorce reserve next to Malaga airport, literally 10 minutes from the airport car-park. They are usually on the main lake with all the other stuff. Three osprey overhead together there last month. Good chance of Bluethroat too by now.

I can't recall if I saw any WHD at Laguna de Medina last month when I was there but I had a small group of crested coots on the near-side close in between the end of the boardwalk and the hide.

Last edited:
One of the sights I was hoping to see this year is the rice paddy harvest on Isla Mayor. I had heard that there were less rice paddies this year due to drought, but presumably those which are there must be flooded?

You should be lucky, but some of the rice is already harvested. However, getting really lucky you could be around whilst they plough and this can produce spectacular number of birds. Fingers crossed :t:

Thought you might like some recent photos taken last week.

Attachments

• Harvest Time and Greylags+.jpg
    Harvest Time and Greylags+.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Harvest 2.jpg
    Harvest 2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 105
If you want white-headed duck all you need to do is drop into the Guadalhorce reserve next to Malaga airport, literally 10 minutes from the airport car-park. They are usually on the main lake with all the other stuff. Three osprey overhead together there last month. Good chance of Bluethroat too by now.

Excellent advice Alan. Members of my ringing group had Marbled Teal and Booted Eagle there last week, so good choice and worth visiting on more than one occasion!

Alan G., there is a free download on the website below .pdf for birds in and around Serrania de Ronda and Sierra de Grazalema, just look at the page name checklist and click on the booklet download. The booklet also gives a few worthwhile sites. If you are over and I can help at all please do not hesitate to PM me for email/phone number.

:t:

I did a bit of work on a Google Earth image of the Guadalhorce reserve a couple of weeks ago to help someone else find it. It's right next to the airport, but even so it can be tricky. Here's the route for anyone that wants it.

EDIT. I've just noticed a slight error on the first part of the journey. I'll correct it and repost the image.

2nd EDIT. Job corrected. I'd mistaken the railway line for the road leading from the airport. (Not recommended in a hire car).

Attachments

• Malaga - Guadalhorce reserve copy.jpg
    Malaga - Guadalhorce reserve copy.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
You should be lucky, but some of the rice is already harvested. However, getting really lucky you could be around whilst they plough and this can produce spectacular number of birds. Fingers crossed :t:

Thought you might like some recent photos taken last week.

Yep that's the kind of thing I'm hoping for. We saw some very late paddies being harvested last year. We decided to go a few weeks earlier to stand a better chance of seeing more this year, but didn't want to go too early and get there before the majority of the cranes.

Thanks.

Can't wait. Just hope the rain doesn't come when we get there.....

I did a bit of work on a Google Earth image of the Guadalhorce reserve a couple of weeks ago to help someone else find it. It's right next to the airport, but even so it can be tricky. Here's the route for anyone that wants it.

Alan, would you mind if I download the map as it could be very useful for me to pass-on with various enquiries I get? Would have been interesting following the railway!

Had a couple of photos through today from the Donana, so thought I'd post them here for everyones interest. The photos were take by Jose A. Sencianes.

Attachments

• JAS9534.jpg
    JAS9534.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 109
  • JAS9766.jpg
    JAS9766.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 120
Alan, would you mind if I download the map as it could be very useful for me to pass-on with various enquiries I get? Would have been interesting following the railway!

Had a couple of photos through today from the Donana, so thought I'd post them here for everyones interest. The photos were take by Jose A. Sencianes.

Feel free Peter. Glad to help.

Here are a few of the shots I've got at the Guadalhorce reserve on recent visits. I now make a point of calling in as soon as I pick up the hire car whenever I arrive at Malaga.

Attachments

• White Headed Duck 03 copy bf.jpg
    White Headed Duck 03 copy bf.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Booted Eagle 08 copy bf.jpg
    Booted Eagle 08 copy bf.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Bluethroat 03 copy bf.jpg
    Bluethroat 03 copy bf.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Woodchat 18 copy bf.jpg
    Woodchat 18 copy bf.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 01 Rio Guadalhorce reserve, 24 Feb 07 copy bf.jpg
    01 Rio Guadalhorce reserve, 24 Feb 07 copy bf.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Alan:

Thanks for the route onto Guadalhorce. I managed to get onto it the last time I was there from the opposite direction, ie: driving through Malaga towards the Port, along the coastal road and towards the sports stadium but this routes better.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get a chance to visit next week as we're heading straight West towards Los Alcornocales, but I'll see if I can squeeze it on en route.

Bobby: There's rain forecast (according to some reports anyway) for next week I see. As long as its overnight and doesn't interfere with my daytime activities I'll take that.

Peter: I've made a note of your phone number from a previous PM. I'll probably be okay but thanks for the offer....might be inclined to text you over there to see if anythings being seen though, if thats okay?

Thanks again

Alan

Peter: I've made a note of your phone number from a previous PM. I'll probably be okay but thanks for the offer....might be inclined to text you over there to see if anythings being seen though, if thats okay?

Thanks again

Alan

You are more than welcome Alan. Have a great trip and hope you see all the goodies you seek. Might be worth looking up Sierra de Libar behind Montejaque for Alpine Accentors. The area has Wryneck, Richard's Pipit, Water Pipit, Tree Pipit and Ring Ouzels at the moment.

:t:

Alan:

Thanks for the route onto Guadalhorce. I managed to get onto it the last time I was there from the opposite direction, ie: driving through Malaga towards the Port, along the coastal road and towards the sports stadium but this routes better.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get a chance to visit next week as we're heading straight West towards Los Alcornocales, but I'll see if I can squeeze it on en route.

Bobby: There's rain forecast (according to some reports anyway) for next week I see. As long as its overnight and doesn't interfere with my daytime activities I'll take that.

Thanks again

Alan

Hi Alan

I was also in the Trebujena/Bonanza area last month, just after some particularly heavy rainfall that had caused flooding around Jerez a few days before. The sandy track south along the edge of the saltmarsh to the Bonanza Salinas hide on the riverbank had obviously been difficult before we got there, judging by the ruts, but by the time I used it the mud had firmed-up or could be driven around and the dampness even helped by stabilising a couple of patches of sandy ground that can cause traction and support problems. The pools north of the sluice towards Tebujena were strangely quiet - I had marbled duck and three Caspian terns there last year along with hundreds of flamingos, all sorts of duck (including white-headed close to the road) and other stuff.

The usual suspects were there in good numbers further on; flamingos, spoonbills, egrets, avocets, assorted waders etc. Purple Gallinule by the sluice at the rush screen. Great white egret flying over the Algaida salinas and a single Caspian tern roosting on the mud opposite the Bonanza hide. Red kite at the usual dead tree perch (they use it as a plucking post) on the saltmarsh between the track and the river (pic from last year below). Lesser short toed lark on the saltmarsh. Small groups of black stork, but I reckon they'll be topping up their tans in Africa by now.

Booted eagle, flying overhead at treetop height, whistling, in the Algaida forest, but no azure-winged magpies this time (had them there at the end of February).

Attachments

• Red Kite 08 Salinas de monte Algaida copy bf.jpg
    Red Kite 08 Salinas de monte Algaida copy bf.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hi Bobby

Thanks for your PM. Back @ work today after 5/6 days birding on foot only in and around El Rocio up til last Thursday. Will try to get a report for you, although work backlog might prevent - a pint in L'pool or Southport might be easier!

If I get chance I'll post something

A few points:-

I've had Black Stork at Bonanza (and la Janda) in the winter so some might still be around. I saw Crane at La janda last week and both Crested Coot & White-headed Duck at Laguna de Medina. Also Alpine Accentor in Alcornocales (after a 2 hour walk up and a little less down Picacho). A few Lesser Kestrel were still around Alcala de los Gazules (best seen early AM or late PM). Some Ruppell's Vulture were still around in late October (naturally I didn't see them) and a Reef Egret in Cadis Bay (see rare birds in Spain website). I'd happily send my notes on birding sites around Alcornocales to you if you contact me privately,

John

Any chance of letting us know what it was like there as I am going to Donana for a few days on Dec 4th, 5th & 6th (possibly the 3rd as well.

John

Hi Bobby

Thanks for your PM. Back @ work today after 5/6 days birding on foot only in and around El Rocio up til last Thursday. Will try to get a report for you, although work backlog might prevent - a pint in L'pool or Southport might be easier!

If I get chance I'll post something

Any chance of letting us know what it was like there as I am going to Donana for a few days on Dec 4th, 5th & 6th (possibly the 3rd as well.

John

I'll be back by then, so I'll let you know as well. We are in el Rocio from the 16th to the 19th.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back