• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any One Seen Goshawk Nest? (1 Viewer)

It's most unlikely you would be attacked by a Goshawk near it's nest, I doubt if it would come anywhere near you. I've been to many Goshawk nests in UK, never been attacked yet! They can be very noisy though, so loud in fact as to make your ears ring, very disturbing when you're trying to keep a low profile and don't want anyone to know you are there, especially a gamekeeper who would probably shoot it if he got the chance.

nirofo.

Nests are usually high up in trees - large bulky structure like red-tailed hawks build or a larger version of a sharp-shinned or Cooper's hawk.

I'm not aware of people being attacked by goshawks protecting their nests - can be noisy and demonstrative as mentioned above.

From your question have you had experience of being attacked by a hawk near it's nest?

I have heard of Cooper's hawks swooping at people near nests - has happened to people I know in the states. So if you were attacked it may be that species.

Cheers,
Andrew

I've seen a few nests and been attacked a couple times. Both male and female swooped me and came about 3 feet away from my head. I had to hide behind a tree to avoid being hit. nearly made me wet myself but it was pretty exciting. I came upon the nest with 3 hatchlings peeking over the edge. Mom and dad were quick to defend once they learned my presence.

Within the city of Calgary we have several natural areas and one is a large provincial park called 'Fish Creek Park'. For years Goshawks have nested in the aspens towards the west end. There is no way for about a two week stretch that anyone can hike withing 50 feet of the nest without being dive bombed and, on occassion,being raked across the scalp. The nests are usually found only after an incident and the nearby paths (if any) are roped off. This is a large park (18kms long) and several species of birds of prey nest in it...Prairie falcons on open cliffs to Sawhet owls in old snags, etc. The Goshawks are the only ones that are pro-active in attacking passerbys. Even the several Great Horned Owls in the Park are non-chalant unless their nests are actually approached.

Re the nests. This may only apply to what we have here in the city and our nearby areas. Other regions could be different. I've only seen them nest in denser woods of midsize trees. Nests 15 to 20 ft or so up. The buteos, Redtails and Swainson, nest in our city parks much higher up...usually in Balsam Poplars. Although we have other accipters resident (Sharp shinned and Coopers), I've never found their nests. If the goshawks weren't aggressive, I'd guess their nests would also go unnoticed.

AStevenson said:
Nests are usually high up in trees - large bulky structure like red-tailed hawks build or a larger version of a sharp-shinned or Cooper's hawk.

I'm not aware of people being attacked by goshawks protecting their nests - can be noisy and demonstrative as mentioned above.

From your question have you had experience of being attacked by a hawk near it's nest?

I have heard of Cooper's hawks swooping at people near nests - has happened to people I know in the states. So if you were attacked it may be that species.

Cheers,
Andrew

Cooper's hawks are common here and especially abundant in what we call 'the montane zone' between the foothills and the actual alpine areas. I've never heard of anyone being attacked. Having said that, however, I've lived in different regions of Canada and birds of prey seem to be quite variable in their behaviors...not unlike mammalian predators like wolves, cougers and so on. Perhaps different behaviors are learned and adapted to diverse situations. I'm not sure why a bird of prey would bother about large mammals (like humans) unless aggression was taught by the parents. A lot of birds in the unpopulated areas of Canada will take no notice of humans. A crossbill or boreal owl will land on your head as if it was a branch whereas, in populated areas, they wouldn't do it.

cayoncreekman said:
Cooper's hawks are common here and especially abundant in what we call 'the montane zone' between the foothills and the actual alpine areas. I've never heard of anyone being attacked. Having said that, however, I've lived in different regions of Canada and birds of prey seem to be quite variable in their behaviors...not unlike mammalian predators like wolves, cougers and so on. Perhaps different behaviors are learned and adapted to diverse situations. I'm not sure why a bird of prey would bother about large mammals (like humans) unless aggression was taught by the parents. A lot of birds in the unpopulated areas of Canada will take no notice of humans. A crossbill or boreal owl will land on your head as if it was a branch whereas, in populated areas, they wouldn't do it.
tHANKS FOR THE TIPS I WILL BE LOOKING NEXT SPRING.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back