• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any unusual Jay movements this autumn? (1 Viewer)

RecoveringScot

I witnessed the last big influx of Jays (that I know about) in October 1983. A feature of this irruption was the number of records of birds in places where they were not often recorded.

This morning about 9:50 I saw two Jays flying west in the centre of Aberdeen from my window. They were moderately high and looked very like migrants (though this would be speculation). I've not seen or heard of them in the centre of town since I've been here (7 years).

Any other unusual Jay records recently?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Below average in this neck of the woods In fact, in comparison to previous seasons, next to none moving. Plenty of Jays about, just not the usual heavy passage as yet.

Well it seems to have been a good September with higher than average numbers of coastal migrants, so maybe these were actually migrants. Difficult to tell, as they do occur throughout the Dee Valley, sometimes commonly, but are rarely seen in Aberdeen town itself. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Cheers,

i don't know if they are migrants but there are loads of jays around here at the moment i saw 4 on the way to work today although if i remember rightly there were loads about this time last year

About 10 days ago there were 900 on passage through the Somme area in northern france.

Buy in the sacks of coal it's going to be cold....

About 10 days ago there were 900 on passage through the Somme area in northern france.

Buy in the sacks of coal it's going to be cold....

Already has been here! And my central heating has failed again (three years since the last time).

That sounds like the kind of interesting movement I was looking for. I take it those numbers were unusual in the Somme region.

Cheers,

Never seen one before, until last Thursday when one stopped by for a peck on the ground, and then a flutter up on to the oak tree to munch some acorns - managed to get a good close up look (as my bedroom is right next to the oak tree) with some binoculars. Five minutes later....gone...never to return it seems.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back