• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

apetzii (3 Viewers)

l_raty

laurent raty
The Key:
apetzii
Prof. Johan Heinrich Apetz (1794-1857) German entomologist (subsp. Alaudala rufescens).

The eponym dictionary of birds
Apetz
Lesser Short-toed Lark ssp. Calandrella rufescens apetzii Brehm, 1857
Professor Dr Johann Heinrich Gottfried von Apetz (1794–1857) was a German entomologist, although his time at Jena University was spent studying theology and, latterly, languages. He amassed a large collection of beetles from East Asia. He wrote a number of papers including Beiträge zur Fauna des Osterlandes (1840). A number of insects are named after him.

Björn reported recently that Mearns & Mearns suggested Ernst Theodor Apetz (1834-1898), instead.

Melanocorypha apetzii Brehm "1857" (= 1858)

Erste Sippe. Kalanderlerchen. Melanocorypha, Boje.
[...]
107. c. M. Apetzii, mihi *) nova spec. Apetzens Kalandrette.
[...]
*) Amico fideli, itineris comiti inseparahili et adjutori infatigabili hanc avem dedicat Alfredus Brehm.
The footnote translates as: "To a faithful friend, inseparable travel companion and tireless helper, Alfred Brehm dedicates this bird."

Note also on p. 432, in the introduction of the same work :
In diesem Schriftchen werde ich das ornithologische, und mein lieber Freund und Reisegefährte, der Dr. med. Thedor Apetz, dessen Fleiss und Eifer seine zu erwartende Arbeit wohl selbst am Lautesten rühmen wird, das entomologische Material behandeln. Allein es dürfte wohl noch mindestens Jahresfrist vergehen, ehe die Veröffentlichung erfolgen kann: — wenn sich überhaupt ein Verleger dazu finden wird.
= "In this paper, I will discuss the ornithology and my dear friend and traveling companion, Dr. med. Thedor [sic] Apetz, whose hard work and zeal will probably be the loudest in praising his upcoming work, will deal with the entomological material. But it will probably be at least a year before publication can take place: — if a publisher can be found at all."

See e.g. Beenen 2016 :
ALFRED BREHM (1829-1884) [...] Mit seinem Bruder REINHOLD und THEODOR APETZ (Sohn des berühmten Entomologen JOHANN APETZ) hat er auch eine Reise nach Spanien unternommen.

Although the entomologist Johann Heinrich Apetz certainly did describe insects that had been brought back by Alfred Brehm (see here), the Apetz with whom Brehm travelled in Spain appears to have been Johann Heinrich's son.

Last edited:
Melanocorypha apetzii Brehm "1857" (= 1858)

Dating -
The volume has a title page dated "1857.", which is followed by a Vorwort dated "Januar 1858."
The journal volumes were not published at once, but in Hefte. The journal came with an associated Literatur-Blatt, which was unambiguously monthly, so that it seems reasonable to assume 12 Hefte.
Although the limits between Hefte are not clearly marked, the first page of each Heft always started with the title of a paper, and all Hefte but one in this particular volume ended with a half (instead of complete) gathering, so it's not really difficult to figure out where the limits were.

Brehm's paper spanned pp. 431-448 (Heft 11) and pp. 449-489 (Heft 12, "Schluss"). I would expect Heft 12 and the Vorwort to have been issued together, thus names in Heft 12 are, in my opinion, best dated to 1858. Melanocorypha apetzii was introduced on p. 455, which was in Heft 12. (Several other names proposed in this work and that are in use, such as theklae for the lark or graellsii for the gull, are in the same situation. These names are most often dated to 1857.)

Last edited:
I think his name was Ernst Theodor Apetz died 07 Okt 1898 64 years 1 Month and 1 day old.

Yes -- odd... ;)

The death record is dated to 7 Oct -- if he was 64 years, 1 month and 1 day at death, he was born 6 Sep 1834, thus almost exactly as in "Gustav Theodor"'s baptism record I attached above. The parents are the same as well (Sohn des Professors Johann Heinrich Apetz und dessen Ehefrau Marie geborenen Thienemann here; in the baptism record, the father is called Johann Gottfried Heinrich Apetz, Professor, the mother is Marie Auguste geb. Thienemann).

It seems quite clear that it's the same person -- but with a different name...

There was a Ernst Theodor Apetz born 20 Feb 1829 and died 19 Aug 1829 in Meuselwitz. So I assume a brother (but haven't seen the records) . That might be the reason why his name was adjusted/corrected in honor to his brother died as an infant?

Attached a marriage record of his son. So Ernst Theodor Apetz was married to a Maria Luisa Herbst. The probably married 11 Juli 1861 (there Marie Louise Herbst)

Attachments

• Apetz-Marriage.jpg
    Apetz-Marriage.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
There was a Ernst Theodor Apetz born 20 Feb 1829 and died 19 Aug 1829 in Meuselwitz. So I assume a brother (but haven't seen the records) . That might be the reason why his name was adjusted/corrected in honor to his brother died as an infant?
I guess this may be related. But, still, I'm not used to see a person's name being adjusted after his or her baptism...?

Attached a marriage record of his son. So Ernst Theodor Apetz was married to a Maria Luisa Herbst. The probably married 11 Juli 1861 (there Marie Louise Herbst)
I'd make it Marie Luise in this record.
She's mentioned in his death record as well -- Sohn des Professors Johann Heinrich Apetz und dessen Ehefrau Marie geborene Thienemann, verheirathet mit Marie geborene Herbst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back