• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Craghopper trousers still good? (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I am getting a bit fed up walking round in cold, wet jeans and was considering buying a pair of Craghopper lined Kiwi trousers for the winter. I have discovered a few comments on this forum indicating that the quality is not as good as it was, with stitching coming undone and buttons falling off. Are the trousers still worth buying or are there any better alternatives which I should be looking at?

Edit. I bet Chris Packham's buttons don't fall off.

Ron

I am getting a bit fed up walking round in cold, wet jeans and was considering buying a pair of Craghopper lined Kiwi trousers for the winter. I have discovered a few comments on this forum indicating that the quality is not as good as it was, with stitching coming undone and buttons falling off. Are the trousers still worth buying or are there any better alternatives which I should be looking at?

Ron

i purchased at a reduced price on the internet (Chris Oates is a mine of information on this) a pair of fleece lined winter trousers,they are excellent and good value for money.

POP

Ron

I bought several pairs from Cragghoppers in East Croydon using my nectar card! They are still just fine especially the fleeced lined ones kept more warm in almost gale at Dungeness!

They are sounding quite good. I was pleased to see on Craghopper's site they come in three different leg lengths. I will look for bargains in the sales after Christmas.

Ron

They are sounding quite good. I was pleased to see on Craghopper's site they come in three different leg lengths. I will look for bargains in the sales after Christmas.

Ron

The button did fall off mine, but the missus reckons this was because I bought a size too small. Just found some reduced fleecey ones from http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ and they seem fine to me.

I would seriously blame 'user error' for the missing button on mine

I had one excellent pair of Kiwi trousers that lasted for years until the zip went, but all the recent pairs I bought have suffered from weak stitching around the groin. I think they are fine for loafing about for, but not particularly fit for regular energetic use. Trouble is nothing else fits like 'em!.

The button did fall off mine, but the missus reckons this was because I bought a size too small. Just found some reduced fleecey ones from http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ and they seem fine to me.

I would seriously blame 'user error' for the missing button on mine

Mine have been fantastic. Got them at half price in the Go Outdoors sale back in January. The lined ones are so warm. Going back for some more after Christmas.

After a long time faffing about with light/heavy/showerproof/windproof/lined trousers I bought a pair of Paramo Cascadas' - £80 but one pair is all you need - wind & water proof, insulating.
I wore mine for most of the summer too - they have full length side vents.
I don't have to think what the weather is (or likely to be) - you won't win a fashion prize wearing them you'll be prepared for anything.
My winter attire is Cascada trousers, Torres smock and Explorer top.
Ancillaries - Buffalo mitts, Buff, Millets 'charcoal' handwarmer, Paramo balaclava, Millets gaiters, Karrimor KSB goretex boots.

Trousers
Smock
Explorer top
Balaclava
Buffalo mitts

I fell into the trap of 'I'm only a birder' what do I want with fancy South American mountaineering gear - I'll just get some cheap stuff.
I ended up with cupboards full of 'bargains' as I extended my range and willingness to get out in any weather - choosing what to wear was a nightmare.
I gave in and bought Paramo mostly at bargain prices offseason, also use their underwear, shirts and T-shirts.
My only concession was to Craghoppers as I particularly like their Atol T-shirts for work and their Merino tops (for warmth) and (mostly because they sold them to me for £13).

Wearing Paramo makes me feel more secure too - as I use a GPS I often stay out after dark in remote places - wearing clothing that does not attract moisture and is inherently warm I wouldn't worry too much if I had to curl up under a hedge for the night.

I therefore 'always' have a plastic bag containing spare - buff, gloves, Merino top, whistle, batteries, compass, Mars bar, Gaffa tape, torch, string, lighter, spare 'charcoal' for handwarmer.

Had a pair of Kiwi trousers for about 6 month n ow always got them on and have just brought a pair of the lined ones from TK Max at £24 they seem very warm.

Had a pair of Kiwi trousers for about 6 month n ow always got them on and have just brought a pair of the lined ones from TK Max at £24 they seem very warm.
Hmmm, TK Maxx, I always forget about that place. I might take a look some time. At £24 they must be worth a punt.

Ron

Theres a great outlet shop up on the fyle coast at Fleetwood outlet village, picked up 2 pairs of CH's for about 35 quid last year. There the best on the market, i'm never out of them when birding.

Last edited:
Another vote for Craggies (have quite a few pairs as I've bought them for a few years!) and Páramo gear. I've the Alta Páramo trousers which are superb as they've foam insert padding on the bum and knees, so sitting, kneeling in rain, wind or snow is not a problem

I've also Páramo Alta jacket, fleece and windproof jacket as well as their gaiters and base layers. Combine that with my Lowe Alpine hat and fingerless mitts (superb as they have seperate thumb cover!), skinny gloves and Nepalese waterproof mitts and shod in Scarpas.

GPSr to try and ensure I don't get lost and Tamrac pack and straps with Platypus hydration. Ready for anywhere and any conditions (and I've had them too!)

Edit: BTW, Páramo aren't South American - they're based in Kent and are part of Nikwax

Last edited:
Edit: BTW, Páramo aren't South American - they're based in Kent and are part of Nikwax

Indeed Paramo's head office is in the UK (Wadhurst) but the production is done in South America (Columbia) and in recent years also in Vietnam. I'd highly recommnend the Cascada trousers, a sure they cost a lot, but they are outstanding quality.

I'd highly recommnend the Cascada trousers, a sure they cost a lot, but they are outstanding quality.
I have been looking at information on these jackets recently but haven't been able to work out whether they have any thermal insulation or are just waterproof and breathable.

Ron

I have been looking at information on these jackets recently but haven't been able to work out whether they have any thermal insulation or are just waterproof and breathable.

Depends what you're after, Ron, as they do pretty much anything!

For instance, I have the Alta jacket which is insulated - but also the Fuera jacket which is just windproof and water resistant (it becomes waterproof when combined with my Taiga fleece)

Don't laugh but I bought a Blue Harbour coat/jacket in Marks & Spencer's sale last year and it is by far the best jacket I have ever owned – much better than any of the Berghaus/Ultimate/Musto ones. It is completely waterproof, breathable and incredibly warm if rather heavy, although I like that as it feels as if it should be warm when I am wearing it, unlike some light jackets.

It's fine for the walking I do as there are not many mountains on the nature reserves in Norfolk and Suffolk.;)

The only problem is that the rain runs off the jacket and soaks my jeans, hence the reason for this thread.

Ron

The only problem is that the rain runs off the jacket and soaks my jeans, hence the reason for this thread.

Whilst I'd wholeheartedly recommend the lined Craggies, I'd probably recommend the unlined ones, worn with long john-type base layer as they'll be warmer when wet and dry out much quicker! |=)|

Whilst I'd wholeheartedly recommend the lined Craggies, I'd probably recommend the unlined ones, worn with long john-type base layer as they'll be warmer when wet and dry out much quicker! |=)|
Thanks Mark. I suppose they would be usable for more of the year as well.

In my other post I was really referring to the Paramo Cascada jacket. My other half tried one on at Cley Spy and she was really taken by it but afterwards we couldn't work out if it would be warmer than the Regatta one she has at the moment, which works well and was a fraction of the price.

Ron

Thanks Mark. I suppose they would be usable for more of the year as well.

TBH, I now wear them all the time instead of jeans!

In my other post I was really referring to the Paramo Cascada jacket. My other half tried one on at Cley Spy and she was really taken by it but afterwards we couldn't work out if it would be warmer than the Regatta one she has at the moment, which works well and was a fraction of the price.

LOL ('cos my OH has got a Regatta and I'm always taking the pi55!). TBH, if it does what you want it to do then stick with what you've got.

I will mention that one of the benefits to Páramo is that you can tear it, stitch it and it'll be waterproof. Gore-Tex is a membrane and needs proper patching (tho' they've now started manufacturing non-membrane Gore-tex). And no, I don't work for Páramo but have dealt with them directly for a few years and have always supported their positive, ethical outlook (and am delighted that they now tell their story on the website - worth reading http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/aboutus/company.php)

TBH, I now wear them all the time instead of jeans!

LOL ('cos my OH has got a Regatta and I'm always taking the pi55!). TBH, if it does what you want it to do then stick with what you've got.

I will mention that one of the benefits to Páramo is that you can tear it, stitch it and it'll be waterproof. Gore-Tex is a membrane and needs proper patching (tho' they've now started manufacturing non-membrane Gore-tex). And no, I don't work for Páramo but have dealt with them directly for a few years and have always supported their positive, ethical outlook (and am delighted that they now tell their story on the website - worth reading http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/aboutus/company.php)

I have the Cascada the Taiga, Mountain vent pullover and lightweight windproof pullover all Paramo,superb garments worn in all conditions cold (freezing cold) wet (cats and dogs) and warm (as in Sahara) They are brilliant,and yes if anyone from Paroma is reading this I would accept a free item of kit.

POP

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back