• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are scopes essential? (1 Viewer)

My wife birds with a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL's. I don't see a major advantage over my older 8x32 Swaros. I purchased the ELs thinking I would give her my 8x32's Sure the image is better in the EL's but not that much better, and the field of view is narrower. I primarily borrow them when we bird together and I can't identifying a far off flying raptor in my 8's. Also, I have difficulty in holding 10x steady.

I usually only carry my spotting scope when viewing shorebirds and in hawkwatching.

I've a keen interest in the Nikon 10x42 StabilEyes image stabilized binoculars as they are supposedly water and fog proof and have two methods of stabilization, for land and marine use.

I spend a good amount of time fishing in a bird rich area in southern Canada in June and trying to identify birds on the shore from a boat, even in mild waves, is practically impossible. If the binoculars work as advertised they may be of value.

In addition it just seems there are so many times that a little higher magnification will obviate having to dig out the spotting scope. They would also be useful for my astronomy hobby.

Just can't yet justify the $1100 USD and I have not yet read any "independent" evaluations.

Bob

Personally, it depends on how in-depth I want to be.

Bearing in mind I'm a definite local-patch person then, if I want a good look at whats about and be fairly certain of id's (skills allowing !!) then the scope comes along, especially as there are lots of waders etc that I just wouldn't get with bins alone.

If, however, it's just about going out into the countryside and getting away from it all, then just the bins.

So to answer the orig question - No I don't think its essential, but you'll certainly get better views.

Of course a scope isn`t essential for enjoying birds, anymore than binoculars are essential or a notebook is essential its all down to individual taste.
However, having said that I personally would find it extremely limiting not to have one...if you want to Seawatch, watch Raptors, Wildfowl (especially Geese), any birds on the Sea, Waders on an Estuary and any one of a hundred other situations a scope can be pretty vital:- They`re pretty useless when birding in woodland, but other than that I have mine with me all the time.
Might be awkward to get views of quick moving Passerines with one - but you never know when it might be necessary to check out the subtle pointers needed to seperate say an Arctic or Greenish Warbler or some similar pair of tricky birds!!
As for them being "the major factor in the almost total lack of fieldcraft shown by lots of birders these days" what does that mean? - Surely using a scope means that there is no need to get as close to a bird, its those birders that try and get closer and closer to their quarry that disturb them or flush them!!

Hi Jason,
you obviously know how to watch birds but I do see a heck of a lot of people who do flush birds with a scope and you can get close and observe birds without flushing them. Many birders do just plonk a scope down, talk very loudly while standing totally away from cover and wonder why the birds are not showing. I guess my poiunt is that people use scopes when there's NO need and have become a bit reliant on them. I may be wrong, it's just an impression I get, so don't bite my head off please.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back