• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Armenian gulls? Tbilisi, Georgia Oct 2023 (1 Viewer)

Antik

Sweden
I saw three gulls on the river inTbilisi the day before yesterday: a winter-clad black-headed and two Armenian/Yellow-legged/Caspian gulls that I took shots of to ID at home.

To my surprise the iris colour differs between the birds who otherwise appeared similar to me. The one with dark iris I would have called an Armenian for short bill, strong band and some light in the tip, but both are so similar to me that they should be same species and thus perhaps Yellow-legged gulls in winter costume?

Any help on ID and pointers to observe in the future?

Attachments

• PA171444.JPG
    PA171444.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 44
  • PA171446.JPG
    PA171446.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 44
Both are Armenian Gulls. Short, stubby and blunt tipped bills, pigmeted irides (even in the second) and black marks to bills are good pointers. Second one is a bit near the look of a hybrid with YLG but in adult YLG you really rarely find a peppered iris. Bill structure is better for Armenian anyway and I think YLG is at laest uncommon in Tbilisi.

Dear Lou,

Thank you for the informative reply! I was trying to find pictures of Armenian gulls with lighter iris in vain, thanks for explaining the difference.

Best Regards,
Antti

Antti, a quick google search reveals quite a few Armenian Gulls with pale irides. Same as in cachinnans or heuglini - most have darker (stronger pigmented) iris, some not. HOwever, most important separating features are - as in all adult large gulls - in the wingtip pattern which at the moment (lacking outer primaries due to annual complete moult) is hard or impossible to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back