• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls Georgia (1 Viewer)

BikeandBird

Hello all,

I took some photos of gulls yesterday west of Gori, Georgia. One of the attached birds I IDed as Yellow-legged because of the pale iris. Not sure though and not sure about the others. I am still a bit confused about ID and distribution of Yellow-legged vs. Armenian here in Georgia. So I would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance,

Leo

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
I am not going to try the immatures, however having seen plenty in Israel & Georgia, I don't think I have knowingly seen an adult Armenian Gull that has no black in the markings on the bill.

On that basis alone, I would go to YLG as a default.

It may be worth trying Yoav Perlman who is familiar with separating both species in Israel.

All look like Armenian Gulls to me.
Besides, I think Yellow-legged Gulls in Georgia occur along the Black Sea coast only, not this far inland?
I only saw Armenian Gulls in the upland lakes of Lesser Caucasus region (transcaucasia) so can't comment from person experience and didn't see any YLG at all in Georgia.

A quick look at eBird shows plenty of inland YLG.

I still can't see the round headed short billed look typical of AG in any of these.

What separates the photographed gulls from Yellow-legged? Besides the location...
Took the attached photo even further inland and also IDed the bird as Yellow-legged.

Attachments

• 475753961.jpg
    475753961.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 38
Your bird has the short, heavy bill of Armenian, extensive feathering on bill base (both on upper and lower mandible), bulging forehead, extensive black on P8 and a rather greyish-yellow iris. Without flight shots indicating otherwise, I would not call it a Yellow-legged Gull, taking into account the location.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back