• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asian Brown Flycatcher again? Singapore Oct 2018 (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

I dread posting one of these again. Just makes it look like I can never recognize what an Asian Brown Flycatcher looks like.

All photos are of the same bird. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. This bird looks browner than most ABFs I've seen and it doesn't seem to have the classic white lores and black thin legs of an ABF. However, the wash doesn't look streaky enough to be a Brown-streaked Flycatcher? Could this be a Dark-sided Flycatcher?

Mind you, the photos could be a little under exposed but it still looks quite brown when I boost the exposure on an editing software. I've left the photos unedited here.

Appreciate help with ID.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 46
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 35
Yes, the breast looks similar to a Dark-sided Flycatcher, but its still an Asian Brown. The broad bill with yellow base is typical and is clearly visible in your pictures.

I'm not sure I'd want to rule out Brown-streaked, even though it shows more of a wash on the breast sides than streaks. As you say, the head is rather uniform brown without a pale lore and prominent eye-ring, and there's a lot of yellow on the bill - at least half the the lower mandible. Definitely not Dark-sided - the bill is far too large for a start.

I adjusted the image a little to try to remove the brown suffusion, and it now looks a little more like a typical ABF. There is definitely no streaking, which rules out Brown-streaked. The flesh-coloured legs are still a bit of a puzzle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 7.18.38 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 7.18.38 am.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back