• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (7 Viewers)

So now after have hunted for old lenses to get telenegatives, we also have to hunt for old photocopier/fax machines on ebay as well...? When will it stop...? ;-)

(love the out of the box-tits :) )

So now after have hunted for old lenses to get telenegatives, we also have to hunt for old photocopier/fax machines on ebay as well...? When will it stop...? ;-)

(love the out of the box-tits :) )

Well not quite yet. They are ok for close range but I can't get it to focus beyond around 8m with the one I have. It has to be really close to the scope and with the focuser in as far as it will go that's as far away as mine will focus. I have just ordered another one which is around 44mm in diameter and will try putting it up inside the focuser tube. The one I currently have has too big a diameter to fit inside the focuser so there's not much else I can do to experiment at present.

A lot of astronomers use copy lenses to make good quality finder scopes to mount onto their larger scopes, or they just make small spotting scopes out of them using and erector prism and eyepiece. Google copyscope for some examples.

Paul.

Paul.

Did a quick test with the focal reducer made from a photocopier lens. Gives a 55% reduction so the 600mm SW80ED goes down to 270mm. As I said in the last post, the one I have will focus up to around 8 to 10m and no further, haven't measured exactly. Good for doing anything up close where you don't want the full 600mm.

I have a smaller one on order that I will be able to fit into the nose piece of the 2" scope adapter.

Not sure how the overall f number will be affected. On the front of the copy lens it says f4.5 / 137mm

Example of my bird table from around 5m range with and without focal reducer.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_9174.jpg
    DSC_9174.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_9175.jpg
    DSC_9175.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 200
This is my best one so far. Nice and sunny this morning so with the focal reducer taking the 600mm scope down to 270mm I could use ISO800 and 1/4000sec shutter. Taken from around 5m range.

Paul.

Attachments

• Blue_Tit_19thMay2016.jpg
    Blue_Tit_19thMay2016.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 202
a beauty, Paul! quite long out from the hole, yet you nailed the focus.

Thanks Jules/Cango. Takes a few goes to find the best place to focus and then it's sheer luck that the continuous shutter goes off at the right moment. Did a gaussian blur in Photoshop on a duplicate layer and erased the blur where the bird is. That makes the box look a little further back than it was.

Paul

Here some shots with my new APO 90/600 + 2x Barlow + GX8 ...

regards,
Mario

Attachments

• P1060868_HD.jpg
    P1060868_HD.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 182
  • P1070038_HD.jpg
    P1070038_HD.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 180
  • P1070209_HD.jpg
    P1070209_HD.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 182
  • P1070218_HD.jpg
    P1070218_HD.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 161
  • P1070328_HD.jpg
    P1070328_HD.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Nice photos Mario although the editing is very obvious where you have blurred out the background/foreground on the last three photos. What methods are you using? I'm sure the people here can give you some useful tips.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Ist was a bit to aggressive. I used the "normal" blur function in photoshop. I changed it, now with define 2.0 .

regards,
Mario

Robin with a beak full of spiders and covered in cobwebs just before feeding the chicks.

SW80ED and 2" GSO ED barlow.

Paul.

Attachments

• Robin2.jpg
    Robin2.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 167
Dunnock photographed yesterday with SW80ED and Sunagor 100-200mm TN. Wood Mouse on the bird table, I always seem to get them this time of year when it warms up. When a bird comes to the table the mouse just leaps off the side which is quite comical too see it plummet 1.5m to the ground. It then goes straight back up some bamboo and jumps back on.

Paul.

Attachments

• Dunnock.jpg
    Dunnock.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Wood_Mouse.jpg
    Wood_Mouse.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 141
Dunnock photographed yesterday with SW80ED and Sunagor 100-200mm TN. Wood Mouse on the bird table, I always seem to get them this time of year when it warms up. When a bird comes to the table the mouse just leaps off the side which is quite comical too see it plummet 1.5m to the ground. It then goes straight back up some bamboo and jumps back on.

Paul.

Nice ! Well done.

The weather has been abysmal here and havent gone outside with the ES 80 yet, but captured a Blue Tit on my feeder.

Slightly better IQ than the sparrow

The trees in the backgound are around 200ft away, so i get a fairly decent backround when birds are on the feeder

Attachments

• BT 2.jpg
    BT 2.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back