• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (2 Viewers)

He/she was busy cleaning and greasing his/her feathers and usually had his/her eyes shut.;)

Great light you had for the Gadwalls. Punchy colors.

Had an unexpected nice day so we went over to the old Danube arm. Didn't see much, but finally got a chance to get a half way decent shot of a Long Tailed Tit, and a White Tail to boot.
10745084674_ebcaca075e_h.jpg 10744949353_d99d2222d9_h.jpg 10744993113_6091928a4d_o.jpg 10744770366_f9fbbea033_o.jpg

Nice. The first LTT is very photogenic, and the light is beautiful.

Good detail of the Sea Eagle. At what distance were you? 75-100 m?

Thanks, Tord.
I think 100 meters at least. Had the TN on in the 1.8x position and it is about a 100% crop. The LTT was only about 15 meters away, but the light was pretty bad, so I was lucky to even get that much. Had to work for it in LR. Taken at 2:30 in the afternoon. The sun is already so low! The light is GONE now by 3:30.

Playful Black-headed Gulls

Light at first seemed to be on the limit for achieving acceptable shutter times, but I have it a go.

Interesting to note the variations in pigmentation between individuals.

E5 @ISO800, 1/400-1/640
TS102 F/6.8

Attachments

• Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_12.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_12.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 71
  • Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_14.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_14.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_15.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_15.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_16.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_16.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_17.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_17.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 69
Thanks, Tord.
I think 100 meters at least. Had the TN on in the 1.8x position and it is about a 100% crop. The LTT was only about 15 meters away, but the light was pretty bad, so I was lucky to even get that much. Had to work for it in LR. Taken at 2:30 in the afternoon. The sun is already so low! The light is GONE now by 3:30.
Considering it is a 100% rendering of a crop, the details and sharpness of Eagle is excellent.

Tord,
I find the 1/400-1/640 range good for such shots because there is still some movement, esp. in the wings. Totally frozen shots are nice, but can be lifeless.
According to the exif data, you have your WB set on automatic. May have something to do with the pigment. The middle one seems like maybe it picked up a little late afternoon sun. Interesting, by 4:38 PM it is nearly dark here now, and we are only about 400km further east than you are. Are you still on daylight time, or is your camera still set on daylight time.

Daniel,

I was first hesitant but as the thicker clouds had dissipated, enabling 1/500s at 800 ISO I gave it a try. And yes, 1/500 is a good time for shorts with "life" in, as long as you get an interesting detail sharp; head and eye preferably.

I have forgotten to set camera winter time. Very observing of you. Sun goes down at 16:15.

And the WB is auto. I fine-tune the WB in LR to what I think is better.

The one you point has 7050K, +27 hue (purple). I changed to 6600-ish when developing but did not change hue, maybe +22 is better. The pinkish tone is the reflection of a cloud illuminated by sun.

The others are taken when background is more or less in shade, just a little sun broke through, and conditions changing rapidly.

Garden Birds

Heavy rains and miserable light all weekend long, yet I could not resist the temptation of testing my new TLAPO804 (80mm, F/6).

Apologies for poor contrasts. The last one is with fill-in flash support, have been experimenting recently with various softeners and reflectors and wanted a least one frame with some color in before it started pouring down again.

The scope is really nice, feels a little bit like operating a bigger lens. Will be a perfect tool when portability is needed. Will append to the TLAPO804 thread, after having used it in more favorable conditions.

Attachments

• PB094572.jpg
    PB094572.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 111
  • PB094577.jpg
    PB094577.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 103
  • PB094595.jpg
    PB094595.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 129
Heavy rains and miserable light all weekend long, yet I could not resist the temptation of testing my new TLAPO804 (80mm, F/6).

Apologies for poor contrasts. The last one is with fill-in flash support, have been experimenting recently with various softeners and reflectors and wanted a least one frame with some color in before it started pouring down again.

The scope is really nice, feels a little bit like operating a bigger lens. Will be a perfect tool when portability is needed. Will append to the TLAPO804 thread, after having used it in more favorable conditions.

It seems to be working well for you. Enjoy !

Not much time for photography the past weekend, shame since we had nice weather midday on Sunday. Days are getting so short...

Here are some more pictures, taken in more field conditions. Brought the scope on a cross-country walk to test the portability. Pictures are taken handheld, the ergonomy is a bit akward since the supporting hand (left) also must operate the focusing knob. But it can be done.

The sharpness of the pictures the scope is delivering is striking I think.

The tuft on the Tufted Ducks is clearly visible on the original.
The soft background behind the Herons is pleasant.
Apologies for the Red Kite not taken in favorable angle, shame the light was from the wrong angle, ruining the pictures with the Kite coming in. Anyhow, the detail is good.

All with E5 ISO 400-800

Attachments

• PB174615.jpg
    PB174615.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 87
  • PB174675.jpg
    PB174675.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 99
  • PB174630.jpg
    PB174630.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 105
Some Uruguayan birds below.

All with the 80ED and EM-5 (and no, it did not fit the handbagage...)

Pico de plata - Hymenops perspicillata
Chimango - Milvago chimango
Churrinche - Pyrocephalus rubinus
Tero - Vanellus chilensis

(churrinche at 900mm all other at 600mm. Tero and chimango shot from inside of car)

Attachments

• picoplata.jpg
    picoplata.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 105
  • chimango.jpg
    chimango.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 125
  • churrinche.jpg
    churrinche.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 118
  • tero2.jpg
    tero2.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 115
Very nice photos, Carlos. Have you been on a (birding) trip to South America?

Thanks Tord. Yes, been visiting family, and took the opportunity to do some birding as well - 4 days on the Rocha region, and a couple of mornings in and around Montevideo.

Some Uruguayan birds below.

All with the 80ED and EM-5 (and no, it did not fit the handbagage...)

Pico de plata - Hymenops perspicillata
Chimango - Milvago chimango
Churrinche - Pyrocephalus rubinus
Tero - Vanellus chilensis

(churrinche at 900mm all other at 600mm. Tero and chimango shot from inside of car)

Nice work Carlos ! The second one is my preferate.

Bohemian Waxwings

Just got my EM-5 back from workshop. The IBIS performed as expected, which is good news.

A nice encounter while on a walk through the woods today. No sun unfortunately, but the results are still quite OK I think considering the difficult background.

TLAPO804 (480mm, F/6) + cropped frames from EM5@400 ISO
Handheld/monopod

Attachments

• Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus)_2.jpg
    Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus)_2.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus)_4.jpg
    Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus)_4.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back