• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (2 Viewers)

I just got the OTA and have come across some eyepieces so now needing a 2" to 1.25" reducer I called into our local B&Q found these for £2.58 a black floplast wp08 40mm ppcoupler and a wp38 40mm x 32mm reducer, I used a junior hacksaw to cut off one end of the 40mm ppcoupler so it would fit into one of the extension tubes the WP38 40x32mm now slots into this and the eyepieces into this, not bad for £2.58 I will take a picture so you can see what its like I have not used it yet because I have only just finished making it :t:

Jim

Ok I have updated this a little, the wp08 40mm ppcoupler had a little movement when inserted into the extension tube so I have placed some packing under were the screw tightens down I have left a little of it showing in the built up picture but I have this pushed right in here, I also have the eyepieces pushed in a little more too these pictures are just for showing I might get two more coupling seeing they are so cheep and improve on this

Attachments

• scope2_19_1_13.JPG
    scope2_19_1_13.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 57
  • scope1_19_1_13.JPG
    scope1_19_1_13.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 66
Along with the cold and snowy weather we have lots of winter thrushes turning up, especially good sized flocks of Fieldfare. Could do without the plain white cloud though, not the best of light.

Paul.

Attachments

• Fieldfare.jpg
    Fieldfare.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 81
Thankfully the light improved yesterday and I got some better images of the Fieldfares.

The tree they keep settling in is around 40m (131 feet) away in a neighbours garden, 1st image was with Kenko Pro 1.4X TC and quite a big crop, about 60% of the photo was cropped off. Second image was with a telenegative, I think it was my Prinzflex 100-200mm one and this was quite a light crop, only about 25% cropped off. The TN was also mounted in reverse, I'm finding that any stray internal reflections and contrast are slightly better when mounted in reverse.

Paul.

Attachments

• Fieldfare2.jpg
    Fieldfare2.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Fieldfare3.jpg
    Fieldfare3.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 81
Some photo's from this morning.

The Grey lourie is with the scope, hand held from about 8m in my back yard. I was actually quite surprised by the results, as it is not easy to hand hold this beast.

The Dikkops were taken out in a field near here, with a bean bag as support and an old DOI 2x TC between scope and camera. I found it rather soft and lacking contrast. The great thing is that it appears to introduce very little CA, even when compared to the Kenko Dg pro 300 and MC-4 1.4X TC's. Shall have to try some of P.C.'s adaptations and see if I can improve on it.

Jaco

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 72
The TN shot looks really good. Have you noticed such improvement with other TNs mounted in reverse? haven't tried that yet.

I've got a couple of other TN's which are quite thin and look to be just simple cemented doublets, like a very thin barlow. I find with both of them that they wont work the correct way round, they produce a purple/blue pale circle right in the middle of the photo. No amount of flocking/baffling will get rid of it. When I mount them in reverse they seem to work fine. My Canon one works better in reverse too.

Jaco, some interesting birds you get there. Is your DOI 2X the HQ7 version or the MC4?

Paul.

Hi Paul

I no longer have the shell as I butchered it beyond repair. It definitely was not an MC7. If I remember correctly it may have had "HQ" inscribed on it. It came in a Pentax K-mount and looked similar to the one at this link: http://www.ffordes.com/product/12092516144681

The only other 2x I have is a CPC (MC) for C/FD, which I can't extract from the metal mounting plate to fit inside the extension tubes. I have used as much force on it as I care to, fearing one may shatter the glass in the process. So, until I have contrived a suitable "lens spanner", it will have to wait. So I have never tried it.

re the birds: The GL is like an adopted child, it will come and knock on the windows if it hasn't had its apple or bread by 0700. The Dikkops I only observe as they seem to be fending for themselves quite well.

Jaco

I've had some DOI HQ7 TC's in the past and really liked them. Not sure what I did with them, I probably took them apart to use the glass for something else. I've been meaning to get another one to use on the scope.

Paul.

Just starting out again with my new scope. Pictures taken through glass I am afraid as I am to much of a wimp to stand out in the cold snow.

Lots of glare so struggling to get any sort of photo, but I really just wanted to practice my manual focusing with these old eyes of mine ;) Not smack on but I will get there or buy a big white haha

Attachments

• redwing window (Medium).jpg
    redwing window (Medium).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 83
  • sqizz (Medium).jpg
    sqizz (Medium).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 69
Camera : Canon 7D
Scope : Skywatcher 80ED
Crop 50%

Can't wait till we get some good weather.

Attachments

• starlings_22_1_2013.JPG
    starlings_22_1_2013.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 75
Camera : Canon 7D
Scope : Skywatcher 80ED
Crop 50%

Can't wait till we get some good weather.

You and me to Fixer :t:

Grad taken yesterday HAND HELD :king: big crop and soft, but trust me its better than i have been getting.

Attachments

• grad (Medium).jpg
    grad (Medium).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_3935-copy (Medium).jpg
    _MG_3935-copy (Medium).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Just starting out again with my new scope. Pictures taken through glass I am afraid as I am to much of a wimp to stand out in the cold snow.

Lots of glare so struggling to get any sort of photo, but I really just wanted to practice my manual focusing with these old eyes of mine ;) Not smack on but I will get there or buy a big white haha

Nice work. Welcomme to the Old Eyes Club... You're getting there.

No birding here today - temp is -28C.

Only a juvenile Herring gull but because of the backround I could not resist some shots of it. BTW the background was oof reeds that were in the low winters sun. To get all the bird in the frame I had to back off to around 50 feet.
7D + SW80ED + 1.4x tc 1/320 sec, ISO 400, 840mm, tripod

Attachments

• gull1.jpg
    gull1.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 119
Only a juvenile Herring gull but because of the backround I could not resist some shots of it. BTW the background was oof reeds that were in the low winters sun. To get all the bird in the frame I had to back off to around 50 feet.
7D + SW80ED + 1.4x tc 1/320 sec, ISO 400, 840mm, tripod

Stunning, Roy! love the light

Woodpecker from my garden. We have got strange weather. Days are dull and cold with glaze ice 2 cm thick covering all. Usually it is cold, snowy and sunny in January.
SW 80ED with Osawa telenegative, Pentax K-5 on tripod.
Full fames, only resized and slightly sharpened, no noise reduction applied.
1. ISO=1250,1/200
2. ISO=1600, 1/125
Some motion blur is visible at photo nr. 2.

Attachments

• woodpecker.jpg
    woodpecker.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 83
  • woodpecker2.jpg
    woodpecker2.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back