• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aurora Borealis 01 12 23 (1 Viewer)

BriLee

England
2023 was my personal best at photographing Northern Lights Locally in the South Penines, its so hit and miss to get clear skies and Aurora activity. This pic was taken on 01 12 23 at Stoodley Pike near Todmorden on the Penine Way. Canon 6D Samyang 24mm 1.4 lens,at f2.13sec exposure. IMG_1903_DxO.jpg

thats amazing brian, i regulary walk to stoodley pike from mytholmroyd but in the day i cannot imagine doing it in the dark cracking photo

thats amazing brian, i regulary walk to stoodley pike from mytholmroyd but in the day i cannot imagine doing it in the dark cracking photo
Cheers ,was a bit icy coming back down ha ha,managed to loose a glove ,typical,worth it though, regards Bri.

Thanks for comments,there's just to much light pollution locally with all the lights from Town to see all the colours to the naked eye ,but i could see a greenish tinge to my eyes,it was a 13 second exposure at f2 , iso 400 with a white balance of 5300k,Canon 6D full frame/Samyang24mm1.4lens. Ps I'd love to go to a real dark sky area,around the Arctic Circle ,and really see the Auroral at its best, regards Bri.

I have seen and photographed hundreds of aurorae and noctilucent cloud from Finland and the U.K. from the 1960s.

I was doing time lapse photos of noctilucent cloud in the 1960s and 1970s. Stored at Aberdeen university archives I think.

On one occasion at lat 65N I used a Minolta XE1 with 58mm f/1.2 Minolta lens 4 secs, which is the longest timed exposure. I always use full aperture. It was minus 25C and I balanced the camera on my friend's car door mirror. I asked that the engine was switched off and nobody breathe. Published in an astro journal. Probably 200 or 400 ASA film.
It didn't feel cold outside as I was busy.

However, at minus 34C my Kodak film broke hopelessly, but Konica film was fine.
The camera case and plastic strap were brittle and would probably have shattered if knocked but the camera and lenses were fine.
As were my friend's Nikons, Canon FTb and Minolta SR1 at minus 37C for an all night session.

My fisheye converter cracked the front curved element at minus 29C. Maybe a Spiratone brand.

However, the best aurora I ever saw was in a U.K. city with corona and a large arc about 20 degree elevation in the South, probably over Paris.
Absolutely amazing.

Regards,
B.

Your photo looks like a fairly quiet aurora, but they change constantly.

Cheers,can you remember what year you saw the Aurora over Paris ? Ps I still have my old Minolta SRt and Pentax Spotmatic, ha ha,pps it was Red Alert G3 from Aurorawatch uk when pic was taken, regards Bri 😀

Hi Bri,

I really can't remember what year.
Maybe around 1980.
I rang all my local astro club members.

The aurora was in the north sky, overhead coronal and a large arc maximum elevation about 20 degrees to the south.
It may well have stretched to mid France.

Very active and colourful despite light pollution.
Seen from our garages.

My usual camera from 1967 was the Minolta SRT 101 with 58mm f/1.4, then SRT 101B, then SRT 303B, which had the ability to advance 1/3 frame giving 111 Saturn or Jupiter images on a roll of film.
Then Minolta X500 and then digital.

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie 127. Then Kodak 35, Then Baldamatic, then a Voigtlander with f/2 lens.
The Minoltas were in a different league.

The Minolta rangefinder camera from 1958 had a 50mm f/1.8 lens that is near to the best modern lenses at full aperture.

I haven't seen an aurora for a few years as the light pollution means I sometimes see no stars either.
But I saw noctilucent cloud last June I think.

Jupiter's moons are seen well in the Canon 18x50 IS.

Regards,
B.

The all sky aurora was some time between 1981 and early 1989.
I can't think how to be more accurate as it was pre digital.

I submit reports monthly but don't keep them for years.

My colleagues have immaculate reports and statistics from about 1960, but usually don't submit them anywhere.
So they have the beautiful log books but the observations don't go into a database.

In the U.K. data exists for over 130 years in one organisation.
200 plus years in another.
In the U.S. 70 years for planets and probably longer for variable stars.
Herschel's, Newton's and Galileo's observations exist at least partly.
Babylonian, Chinese, Mayan and Greek observations go back a thousand to 4,000 years.
Possibly Egyptian also.
The Vatican also has very old records.

As to optics, Dallmeyer records are in a local library.
Taylor Hobson records exist.
Probably Zeiss also.

As to museums, well I loaned items that disappeared.
It is not only the British museum where items go walkies.
There is a huge trade in looted antiquities.

Regards,
B.

The all sky aurora was some time between 1981 and early 1989.
I can't think how to be more accurate as it was pre digital.

I submit reports monthly but don't keep them for years.

My colleagues have immaculate reports and statistics from about 1960, but usually don't submit them anywhere.
So they have the beautiful log books but the observations don't go into a database.

In the U.K. data exists for over 130 years in one organisation.
200 plus years in another.
In the U.S. 70 years for planets and probably longer for variable stars.
Herschel's, Newton's and Galileo's observations exist at least partly.
Babylonian, Chinese, Mayan and Greek observations go back a thousand to 4,000 years.
Possibly Egyptian also.
The Vatican also has very old records.

As to optics, Dallmeyer records are in a local library.
Taylor Hobson records exist.
Probably Zeiss also.

As to museums, well I loaned items that disappeared.
It is not only the British museum where items go walkies.
There is a huge trade in looted antiquities.

Regards,
B.
Some amazing info there,Thank you and regards Bri 😀

Another Aurora Borealis pic from 23 04 2023,this one was a very rushed pic,as it was already red alert from aurora uk, so I was looking directly over Town ( Todmorden ),I could not see any purple/red to the naked eye,with the bad light pollution,but the camera picked it up, 2023 was my personal best year for Aurora Locally in the South Penines .ps Canon 6D /Samyang 24mm 1.4 lens at f2, 12 or so seconds exposure ,iso around 400.regards Bri,ps this pic featured in Halifax Courier Newspaper.

Attachments

• IMG_1666_DxO.jpg
    IMG_1666_DxO.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Another great shot Brian. I’ll have to look up Todmorden on Google Maps.

My best Aurora viewing was back in 1999 or 2000 I think it was. I was on a Korean Airlines 747 flying from Seoul to New York. The inflight movie was a James Bond film but I spent a long while looking out the window at a stunning light show as we flew over Alaska. Wish I had an iPhone back then.

Another great shot Brian. I’ll have to look up Todmorden on Google Maps.

My best Aurora viewing was back in 1999 or 2000 I think it was. I was on a Korean Airlines 747 flying from Seoul to New York. The inflight movie was a James Bond film but I spent a long while looking out the window at a stunning light show as we flew over Alaska. Wish I had an iPhone back then.
That must have been Fantastic to see Mike regards Bri 😀

The Astronomy Centre at Todmorden run by Peter Drew was very active.

Rob Miller also was involved but I think went to the U.S. where he designed and made top quality instruments.

Both are excellent telescope makers and made my custom telescopes.

They used to be in Bedford from memory.

With Jim Hysom in Cambridge, David Hinds and others they made the best amateur and some professional instruments.

All were really coached by Horace Dall in Luton.

Regards,
B.

The Astronomy Centre at Todmorden run by Peter Drew was very active.

Rob Miller also was involved but I think went to the U.S. where he designed and made top quality instruments.

Both are excellent telescope makers and made my custom telescopes.

They used to be in Bedford from memory.

With Jim Hysom in Cambridge, David Hinds and others they made the best amateur and some professional instruments.

All were really coached by Horace Dall in Luton.

Regards,
B.
It still is active as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back