• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[Australia, Darwin] (1 Viewer)

rafnuss

[Australia, Darwin] Brown Goshawk vs Collared Sparrowhawk

Photo taken two days ago at Knucke Lagoon. New to Australian birds.

Small head and bill, rather thin body, thin wings and burglar wings makes me think of Sparrowhawk. But the rounded tail doesn't match.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• RN5_5308-2.jpg
    RN5_5308-2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 78
  • RN5_5309-2.jpg
    RN5_5309-2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 57
  • RN5_5311-2.jpg
    RN5_5311-2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
  • RN5_5312-2.jpg
    RN5_5312-2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 42
Photo taken two days ago at Knucke Lagoon. New to Australian birds. Small head and bill, rather thin body, thin wings and burglar wings makes me think of Sparrowhawk. But the rounded tail doesn't match. Thanks for your help

Perhaps a recently-fledged juvenile Australian Accipiter?

It does resemble a very thin Japanese Sparrowhawk, which species has reached Australia, judging by its heavy markings, but....?
MJB

I think it's Brown Goshawk- tail not square or notched, more rounded, frowning expression, legs look quite thick. Difficult here as this northern race didimus is near size of Collared Sparrowhawk so not an easy species pair to separate.

I think it's Brown Goshawk- tail not square or notched, more rounded, frowning expression, legs look quite thick. Difficult here as this northern race didimus is near size of Collared Sparrowhawk so not an easy species pair to separate.

Is the extent of plumage variation within/across sspp a confusion factor here? My own limited experience of wide-ranging Australian bird taxa suggests that overall, it's not uncommon, but is it applicable here? My cursory search for info has produced meagre authoritative info so far,,,,
MJB

They are very similar, and I wouldn't rely on the slightly shorter outer tail feathers here. But tarsus seem too thin for the goshawk, and match perfectly the sparrowhawk. I checked many photos online and the thin tarsus exaggerate the thick impression of the feet by contrast, and the proportions of OP bird matches the sparrowhawk, not the goshawk imo.

I agree with Sicklebill and Larry Sweetland. Your bird looks a lot like an immature brown goshawk -more prominent brow when compared to collared sparrowhawk and the second image shows a distinctly round tail despite feather condition.

I agree with Sicklebill and Larry Sweetland. Your bird looks a lot like an immature brown goshawk -more prominent brow when compared to collared sparrowhawk and the second image shows a distinctly round tail despite feather condition.

I see a weak eyebrow and a square tail with worn/broken/growing outertail feathers, nothing rounded. I guess we will not agree, therefore I stop here but I keep my identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back